Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with firewall shift bushing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eric914
Shift rod is 20.02mm

Old bushing is 20.32mm ID 26.82mm OD

New bushing from Pelican is 20.68mm ID 26.87mm OD

Should the shaft be a nice slip fit in this bushing? I'm tempted to put the old one back in as it has a little bit tighter fit.

Both the old and the new have nearly the same outside diameters so I think they will fit the same in the firewall.

Oh, and I know.....

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

but I can't find the cord to connect the camera to the computer.
SGB
I don't know that it would make a difference. The rod isn't very tightly held in the one I took out or the one I replaced it with, but the new one did seem to reduce the slop....
It was tighter against the firewall I remember, which might account for better control of the rod,
rhodyguy
is your car a side shift conversion? is it possible you have the early car to ss bushing?

k
eric914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 15 2007, 10:16 AM) *

is your car a side shift conversion? is it possible you have the early car to ss bushing?

k

Car is a 76 chassis.

Part ordered 914-424-224-03-M260 Firewall Shift Bushing, 914 (1973-76) Brand: OEM.

Any way to tell what bushing I have?
SirAndy
QUOTE(eric914 @ Apr 15 2007, 01:33 PM) *

Any way to tell what bushing I have?

yes, if it fits your firewall, you got the correct one! biggrin.gif

the early conversion bushing will not fit a late firewall at all, so no way of mixing those up.

regarding the slop, maybe the new bushing will get tighter when installed because of the bigger OD?
confused24.gif Andy
john rogers
The firewall bushing has probably the least affect on the shifting of a 914 from my experience. Bushings at the shifter are really important and then the bushing at the tranny and the cup bushing have a tremendous presence in how shifting works. Finally is the coupler since it has a couple of bushings but they usually don't wear or degrade much since they are away from the heat. There is an aftermarket "bolt on" firewall bushing and I think James Adams has it in his shifter kit and Patrick Motorsports in Phoenix has them too. These eliminate all the free play at the firewall. Note I did not include the Rennshift since that is a seperate item I think but very well worth the $$$.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.