Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: removing window tint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
Friend just bought a 86 carrera targa. the rear window is tinted. How can you remove the tint without damaging the defogger wiring? I know from personal experience that lacquer thinner and such will not touch the glue.

Thanks, Curt
So.Cal.914
I can tell you one way, Add a small amount of soap to a squirt bottle 3/4 full of

water. Keep the tint moist while you do this. With a razor blade in hand between

your thumb and two of your four finges, start at the top, hold the razor at about a

30 degree angle, and with light preasure start to cut. As you draw the razor down

cut in a 'S' pattern, now not as tight as an 'S', more like a snake all the way to the

bottom. Make sure you keep it wet, this is the lube. Three 'S' cuts should do.

Once you have these done use the razor to lift the edge at the beginning of the

cut and peal the film away from the window. It will leave the glue in most places

but 'Goo Gone or 'Goof off' will remove the glue. The Goof off is smelly so make

sure if you use it to have both doors open and take fresh air breaks. I would

sudjest you cover the interior below the window.
TheCabinetmaker
Won't that damage the defroster wiring?
So.Cal.914
Thats why you are holding the razor at such an extreme angle and with a light

touch. It gives you more of the film to cut into, and only the film. Make sure you

keep it moist. Start your cut at the top where there are no wires and deep enough

there to be able to lift the film with the razor after the cuts are done.
jasons
Easiest way, and I learned this from a tint pro. Mix ammonia 50/50 with water. Spray the mix on the inside of the tint (inside the car). Put a black garbage bag on the window (inside the car again). The ammonia mix will hold the bag there. Let it sit for about 20 minutes in the sun. Take the bag down and then the tint will almost just lift off with no effort. I've done this 2 or 3 times and it works great. No need to scrape much at all. Some adhesive will remain, but the ammonia mix will clean it up.

Now you know why Windex ruins tint.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(jasons @ Apr 15 2007, 12:01 PM) *

Easiest way, and I learned this from a tint pro. Mix ammonia 50/50 with water. Spray the mix on the inside of the tint (inside the car). Put a black garbage bag on the window (inside the car again). The ammonia mix will hold the bag there. Let it sit for about 20 minutes in the sun. Take the bag down and then the tint will almost just lift off with no effort. I've done this 2 or 3 times and it works great. No need to scrape much at all. Some adhesive will remain, but the ammonia mix will clean it up.

Now you know why Windex ruins tint.

If you go this route, be careful, the ammonia can discolor the interior. Covor things up.
Matt Romanowski
The amonia mix works better, but you can just use amonia glass cleaner. Soak the window inside big time and let it sit for 20 minutes and you can pull it off. You should be able to get all the glue. They also make plastic razor blades for detail shops that you can use on teh window.
Jenny
Ditto on the ammonia mixture. Works really well. There will be some glue residue left on the glass after you peel off the film. What we always did at our shop after removing the film was spray some dawn/dish soap and water mixture, then scrub lightly with steel wool in circular motion (wax on, wax off). Takes off all the glue, leaves the defroster stripes intact. Good luck!

Jen
effutuo101
I live in the NW where sun is limited and the Heat is not on yet. Will a hair dryer on the outside produce the same results? I have 1 window that is foggy (and has been since I bought the car)
jasons
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Apr 16 2007, 10:47 AM) *

I live in the NW where sun is limited and the Heat is not on yet. Will a hair dryer on the outside produce the same results? I have 1 window that is foggy (and has been since I bought the car)

I don't know how critical the sun thing is. I live in AZ so its a no brainer. Do a google search and see what you find. I'm sure there is an answer somewhere.
Jeffs9146
Take the window out and soak it in the above mentioned Amonia mix in a plastic bag for as long as needed. Replace the rubber window gasket and clean up any rust that you encounter!

Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again!! beerchug.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.