Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: original US tail lights?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
swm914
My "new" '74 914 2.0 seems to be, as best I can tell, fairly well preserved. However, I am now starting to wonder if my tail lights are not original since they're not solid red and have an orange wrap around part.

Did this style ever appear on US destined 914's or did the orignal owner of over 30 years, for whatever reason, put these on? They have the look that they've been with the car a very long time if they're not original.

Any help appeciated.

Steve
scotty b
Euro lenses. Common to be changed on U.S. spec cars.
scotty b
If you want the U.S, spec ones I probably have a nice set I'd be willing to trade ya.
swm914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 15 2007, 01:04 PM) *

If you want the U.S, spec ones I probably have a nice set I'd be willing to trade ya.

Thanks for the reply. The front signal lights are solid orange. I wonder why he did just the rear?

As far as a trade, I may may be interested. I'll hold off for now to see if I can make it to the Hershey swapmeet next week, It's in my backyard, I just need to get out of an extended family obligation.

We'll be in touch.

Thanks again. Steve
Pat Garvey
I'd bet that a large percentage of US 914 owners have, at some point, changed to euro lenses front and/or back. I did, many years ago because it was the "cool" European look.

Fortunately, I finally realized that they looked wrong with the stupid side marker light & switched them back to US (which was one of the first parts I packratted).

Unfortunately, and characteristic of me, I gave away the euro lenses to a buddy who had resurrected an animal 914/6. Wish I could have back all the spares I gave away to friends I haven't seen in 15 years.
Pat
jonferns
The euro lenses look nice, but look best on a euro car. I personally wouldnt put them on, being that my car is US spec; having them on with the side markers, and US turn signals makes the car look mismatched
6freak
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Apr 18 2007, 07:47 PM) *

The euro lenses look nice, but look best on a euro car. I personally wouldnt put them on, being that my car is US spec; having them on with the side markers, and US turn signals makes the car look mismatched

There on my 6 and im go`n back to US spec ! witch i have in storage.(i think)I heard that they can give you a tickit here in Washington State for the euro`s ?? wrong color or something like that.I was go`n to put the euro`s up front but changed my mind I want all stock look
TedK
Technically, you can not have rear side lights in anything but red. I'd be suprised if a cop would actually pick up on that one. Notice that all US cars with yellow turn lights/lenses have them facing the rear only.
dw914er
QUOTE(TedK @ May 9 2008, 07:42 PM) *

Technically, you can not have rear side lights in anything but red. I'd be suprised if a cop would actually pick up on that one. Notice that all US cars with yellow turn lights/lenses have them facing the rear only.

true. Im sure a cop wouldnt catch that ever
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dw914er @ May 9 2008, 11:41 PM) *

true. Im sure a cop wouldnt catch that ever

These things are going for really stupid prices on eBay! They sell like they're a "must have" part. Wish I hadn't given mine away!
rhodyguy
the washington state patrol WILL pull you over due to euro rears. btdt. no ticket but i was told i needed to change them. the amber "can be confusing to other drivers" or so i was told. oops, i forgot to change them.

k

Scott S
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 11 2008, 06:42 AM) *

the washington state patrol WILL pull you over due to euro rears. btdt. no ticket but i was told i needed to change them. the amber "can be confusing to other drivers" or so i was told. oops, i forgot to change them.

k

In order to use the euro lenses, all you have to do is pull the small bulb that lights up the yellow section when your lights are on. This has no bearing on your turn signals, and is the way they were designed to be used - the euro buckets do not have this bulb.

I went French...(old pic)
orthobiz
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 15 2007, 07:24 PM) *

Unfortunately, and characteristic of me, I gave away the euro lenses to a buddy who had resurrected an animal 914/6. Wish I could have back all the spares I gave away to friends I haven't seen in 15 years.
Pat

That's just one reason why I promise to be your best friend for life! And you've NEVER seen me!!!!!

Paul
Bleyseng
Mine came with Euro's and I am keeping em that way....atleast it did when I got it in 95. Never have had a problem with the WSP stopping me for em....now I have got a speeding warning.. biggrin.gif but no ticket as he liked the car.
dw914er
mmm french lights look so nice on certain colors
6freak

and they dont stay on.only when you use the blinkers......I will ask my brother he is a Washington State Trooper ....I picked him up one time for a hawks game in the 6 and when through the mercer tunnels haul`n ass with the top off!! man that was awsome 4 gear about 100 what a sound .......Triad muffler and B&B headers flag.gif
TedK
Slightly OT, I had the opportunity to examine the US spec repros from AA at a recent swap meet and I must say they looked pretty damn good. The only qualifier was that they were in sealed clear plastic bags so my visual access was not 100%. I would have no problem putting them on my car.
1970 Neun vierzehn
So, the safety nazis are gonna nail me 'cause I got Euro lenses and that might compromise someones' safety? What about the bimbos yakking on their cell phones while they drink their lattes as they trundle over the center line in their 3 ton SUVs? Or the Alpha males who are so important and in a damn hurry that red lights and stop signs are mere suggestions to them? Perhaps the distracted, text messaging, iPod listening, 2 year veterans of driving experience teens with their "tuned" cars present no traffic issues for the enforcement Gestapo.

But we must be vigilant to protect the driving population from European spec lighting. Forget the point that almost no one uses turn signals anymore, get after those old, funny lookin' furrin' cars.

BTW, can someone pass the cheese and French bread to go with my whine?

Paul
6freak
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 12 2008, 10:35 AM) *

So, the safety nazis are gonna nail me 'cause I got Euro lenses and that might compromise someones' safety? What about the bimbos yakking on their cell phones while they drink their lattes as they trundle over the center line in their 3 ton SUVs? Or the Alpha males who are so important and in a damn hurry that red lights and stop signs are mere suggestions to them? Perhaps the distracted, text messaging, iPod listening, 2 year veterans of driving experience teens with their "tuned" cars present no traffic issues for the enforcement Gestapo.

But we must be vigilant to protect the driving population from European spec lighting. Forget the point that almost no one uses turn signals anymore, get after those old, funny lookin' furrin' cars.

Paul

I feel your pain Paul! it would be nice if we could drag them through the window and BITCH SLAP them into next week .....Im only changing them back from the euros because Im sick of the yellow lens. the troopers are on my side I really dont think it would be an issue here in Washington State biggrin.gif unless your a butt head when they stop you
dw914er

Paul

all you have to do to make them 'legal' is remove the small lights on the corner, right inside of the reflector.

Mine burned out, and seemed like too big of a hassel to take out and replace, so im set if i ever do euro lights

as for the french lights, i want to do a 914-6 in irish green, and do the french lights, with gasburners. A bit off topic, but just added to my list of what i want one day, becasue of this tread
6freak
QUOTE(TedK @ May 12 2008, 10:04 AM) *

Slightly OT, I had the opportunity to examine the US spec repros from AA at a recent swap meet and I must say they looked pretty damn good. The only qualifier was that they were in sealed clear plastic bags so my visual access was not 100%. I would have no problem putting them on my car.

Sorry i dont know what i was thinking blink.gif
6freak
QUOTE(dw914er @ May 12 2008, 12:39 PM) *

Paul

all you have to do to make them 'legal' is remove the small lights on the corner, right inside of the reflector.

Mine burned out, and seemed like too big of a hassel to take out and replace, so im set if i ever do euro lights

as for the french lights, i want to do a 914-6 in irish green, and do the french lights, with gasburners. A bit off topic, but just added to my list of what i want one day, becasue of this tread

whats the french thing?? I dont think its bread av-943.gif
dw914er
i was refering to scott's french lights. though i didnt notice that french bread joke the first time

lol
6freak
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 11 2008, 05:08 PM) *

Mine came with Euro's and I am keeping em that way....atleast it did when I got it in 95. Never have had a problem with the WSP stopping me for em....now I have got a speeding warning.. biggrin.gif but no ticket as he liked the car.

if its a USA car there not stock !!!!! but thats OK....I change mine back to the reds last nite and its a hole new look .i like both but wanted stock.....O yah euro rear tail light covers are for sell or trade
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.