Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TPS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
In my continuing search through old boxes of Porsche crap in the basement, I've come across a 1.7 throttle body & TPS. Took the cover off the TPS & it looks to be definitely salvageable for a spare.

So, not wanting to disturb any more than I need to and to get it cleaned up & the contacts gone over, what's the best way to remove it from the throttle body? I'm assuming this can be done without negative consequences.

Also found a relay panel that needs some help, but I'll save that for another post.
Pat
rmital
I forget how similar they are, but I asked the same question about a 2.0L TPS

TPS Removal
Bleyseng
sawzall-smiley.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 15 2007, 05:43 PM) *

sawzall-smiley.gif

OK! GIMMEE A BREAK!

I did a search for this this afternoon - went with the oldest posts first. After an hour I lost interest & hadn't gotten what I wanted.

Started prying from underneath with a pharmacy spatula - no good & I was trying to NOT ruin anything. Did get a little play, though. So, I tried a thin blade flat tip screwdriver - nothing.

Then I looked at it closely. There really isn't much keping the thing on at the top of the mount shaft. A neoprene-type holder & a spring clip (of some sort). So, I thought I'd mount the throttle body in a soft jaw vice & see if I could grab the TPS by the ears & yank it off.

Came off with almost no resistance. I feel so used!

Then I remembered - hell, that's how I did it 20 years ago, except the vice was my knees.
Martin Baker
I thought you knew everything about 914 types...
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Apr 15 2007, 09:17 PM) *

I thought you knew everything about 914 types...

Oh man - soo wrong. I know a lot about a little & a little about a lot.

When it comes to fuel injection, which I've never had the time to try to understand, but trust implicitly (sp?), I have MANY questions. Heretofore, if it wasn't broke.... but now I'm trying to play with spare FI gizmos & understand it all. I figure, after 35 years, I should finally understand the FI system - thank God it's a simple system.

And, to wear out a cliche - "I've forgotten more than".....you know.

So, now I have other questions:

My spare 1.7 throttle body has
1. A venturi with an adjustable screw - why? Has anyone ever adjusted one?
2. Also has a vacuum hose attachment that appears to lead to absolutely nowhere - why?

And, what about this? After 35 years of sucking in air from the throttle body, to the induction system, haven't I probably sucked ina bunch of contaminants that might be adhereing to the walls of the induction distributor and/or the tubes, causing some minor lack in performance?

Pat G
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 16 2007, 05:59 PM) *

My spare 1.7 throttle body has
1. A venturi with an adjustable screw - why? Has anyone ever adjusted one?

That's how you set your idle RPMs.

2. Also has a vacuum hose attachment that appears to lead to absolutely nowhere - why?

Only one? It is probably for the vacuum retard on the distributor. If there are two, one is for vacuum retard and one is for vac advance. The retard fitting will be "downstream" of the closed position of the throttle plate, and the advance fitting just "upstream".

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.