Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Where i was and what i did this weekend.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
Not that you guys care... but i thought i would share smile.gif

I was at the ASCE PSWRC competition in san diego from wednesday to sunday. (American Society of Civil Engineers - Pacific South West Regional Conference)

basically a huge competition between colleges in various civil engineering events.
steel bridge design, concrete canoes, concrete frisbees and bowling ball competition, seismic design, land surveying and a few others.

I was on the surveying party and we kicked some ass, ended up with a second place, as we were the second team to finish with dead nutz accuracy.... (and we did it with non digital equipment)

Over all... our school (Cal Poly Pomona) took first place over UCLA, SLO, USC, UNLV, ASU and 15 other schools in the area.

Was way fun to watch some people sink in their canoes, and some broke in half.

ill post some pics if you guys are interested.

now, to get caught up on school, so i can finish the top end rebuild on my car next weekend. LOL
Allan
Excellent news school boy.

Pretty tough competition, especially against SLO.

My hats off to you.

Way to go!!! clap56.gif
URY914
Nice work A, did you write it all down in your little orange book? biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 15 2007, 06:18 PM) *

Nice work A, did you write it all down in your little orange book? biggrin.gif

orange field books were present smile.gif chairfall.gif
TimT
I remember doing that 25 years ago.. our canoe broke

It was alot of fun!!

Pocket Protectors Unite!!
TROJANMAN
Nice job Aaron. I guess you really are smarter than you look tongue.gif

Something to be proud of though smile.gif

did you get a trophy? smilie_pokal.gif

I'd like to see the concrete canoes.........
KaptKaos
IPB Image

NERDS!!!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Apr 15 2007, 09:10 PM) *

IPB Image

NERDS!!!

Exceptionally well put, Kap'n!

Me, myself & I were stripping fuel injection parts - in the middle of a classic nor'easter! 6 1/2 inches of rain & counting! Bother me - no, because I'm in my dry garage with my.......what? "Whatta ya mean we need to paint? "I'm doing important 914 work here" "Paint what? Oh yeah....be right in".

Even Mother Nature won't step in to help me! Tried to use the "blown knee" thing - stupid! Can't win! Tried to use the sloppy painter thing too. Saw right through it.

"You painted that thing when it was only 7 years old - you've never painted the inside of this house & it's 12 years old"

I said "It's too humid to paint" She, wise in her years said, "that doesn't apply to latex".

I asked where the brushes & rollers were. Lost another round.
Aaron Cox
here is this years canoe... kicked some ass. its going to nationals smile.gif
IPB Image
Twystd1
Light weight concrete made of concrete mix, vermiculite, and long strand fiberglass. Lighter than ply wood... Gets harder and stronger the longer it sits in water..

Neat stuff....

Clayton
Grimstead
Good Job!
smilie_pokal.gif
jd74914
Very cool . . . I sat here building robots for one of my ME classes, being outside would have been so much nicer smile.gif
swood
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 15 2007, 08:42 PM) *

here is this years canoe... kicked some ass. its going to nationals smile.gif
IPB Image

Way to go Bubba.

Is that Library Walk at UCSD?
Aaron Cox
good eye stevo......

So.Cal.914
Hey Aaron, looks like you had fun. Congrats on the second place win.
TonyAKAVW
The double-E in me is tapping his fingers together and maniacally laughing/saying "Ahh, yes, the civil engineers have constructed yet another target."

And boy do I recognize the background in those pictures. Library Walk at UCSD, adjacent to the Price Center, the Geisel Library, and the geometrically correct grove of trees... which is really fun to ride your bike through at top speed.

-Tony
swood
Not to hijack, but I knew that cause I "borrowed" some of that themed paving for one of my recent projects. Pete Walker is a pretty talented dude these days.

http://www.pwpla.com/prj_project.php?prjid=49

Now I'm hijacking (and playing my version of 7 degrees of separation from...) ...I've been scouring our archives here looking for photos of the club run that had an awesome picture near this one of Pete Walkers projects. Post the pics or link here please.... smile.gif

http://www.pwpla.com/prj_project.php?prjid=37
balljoint
Aaron,

What are the long term CivEng plans? One of my best friends (and former 914 owner) just finished his Doctorate in Coastal Construction Technology at UBC. My wife, ChemEng, just finished her MBA. My father, just retired, is an Electrical Engineer. Pretty much everyone I know is a friggin' Engineer and they have a massive range of careers. Lots to choose from, any ideas yet?
Aaron Cox
long term? who knows....

i love the geospatial/geotechnical aspects of CE. so i would love to do land development stuff.

and... in all my hungover glory.... the worst concrete bowling ball bowler there is LOL
IPB Image
Eric_Shea
Did your fat ass get in that canoe? ohmy.gif confused24.gif
Aaron Cox
no. we had strongman midgets to that.
swood
QUOTE(swood @ Apr 15 2007, 11:39 PM) *

Now I'm hijacking (and playing my version of 7 degrees of separation from...) ...I've been scouring our archives here looking for photos of the club run that had an awesome picture near this one of Pete Walkers projects. Post the pics or link here please.... smile.gif

http://www.pwpla.com/prj_project.php?prjid=37

it's 30 miles from DFW Airport...IBM Solana is the name of the project.

Maybe this photo will help ID the fun run where the 914s were photographed wrapped around this round stone feature.
Spoke
How heavy is the concrete bowling ball? I wonder if the other team would notice if I showed up with one of those??

Aaron Cox
13 lbs.
Crazyhippy
Didya paint #'s on your heals? Might have helped your game...

LOL
BJH
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Apr 17 2007, 01:18 AM) *

Didya paint #'s on your heals? Might have helped your game...

LOL
BJH

no numbers... just FUQ SLO on the heals smile.gif
grantsfo
My favorite cement boat.

Then:

IPB Image

...and now:

IPB Image
Eric_Shea
Here's mine... biggrin.gif

Dad served on her out of Aplena Michigan:

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.