Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cam gears
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanT
In my exuberance when getting the motor taken apart, I had failed to realize that the cam gear was rivited to the cam....
Back to the machine shop to index the stock cam and gear and then drill out the rivits so I can then bolt it to the new Webb/Raby cam...
dry.gif

Is this a normal situation to have the stock cam and cam gear rivited together from the factory? blink.gif
Allan
Mine was bolted.
jk76.914
mine was riveted. New cam bolted on, and the bolt heads then created interference with the studs and nuts holding the oil pump together. Be sure to replace or modify the oil pump.
Allan
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Apr 15 2007, 04:02 PM) *

mine was riveted.

I believe that the original cam was rivited.

I'm sure Jake will answer to clear this delimma up.

Please Jake, remember my sister,,,
Jake Raby
ALL were riveted from the factory. All replacements are bolted on.

The riveted gears are a failure point, especially if you have a magnesium cam gear. I have seen many engines that failed only because the cam gear rivets/gear failed.

Are you using my oil pump? If so you'll need my # 8312 cam gear that is pre modified for the oil pump. If you have a stock oil pump the # 8300 cam gear will bolt on without issue with the bolts provided with the cam that came from us.
\
There is more to using the stock cam gear with ANY replcement cam as all new cams are designed to use bolt on cam gears. If that OEM gear is magnesium, don't even think about using it.
DanT
thanks Jake,
Is there an easy way to tell if I have a Magnesium gear vs. steel?

Bleyseng
New ones are cast aluminum and just get a new one clearanced for the oil pump. You should be installing a new modified type 1 oil pump.
Aaron Cox
clearancing the cam gear usually means just recessing/spotfacing the bolt bolt area so they will clear the pump body.

just get one from jake all done smile.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Apr 15 2007, 09:01 PM) *

thanks Jake,
Is there an easy way to tell if I have a Magnesium gear vs. steel?

magnet smile.gif
jk76.914
Modified T4 oil pump for clearance- Not necessarily recommending it, but it's another data point-
Click to view attachment
brer
Timing gears are matched to the case for backlash correct?

If you are using a new gear how can you be sure its the correct one?
are the replacements available to address that or is it one size fits all.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(brer @ Apr 16 2007, 08:54 AM) *

Timing gears are matched to the case for backlash correct?

If you are using a new gear how can you be sure its the correct one?
are the replacements available to address that or is it one size fits all.

Good Question!

This is something I have wondered about. It also brings to question how accurate your machinist line bores the case. Any inaccuracy here will mess with this clearance.
Lastly, Measuring the runout of the gear. I haven't installed a gear lately but it seems to there could be an issue here as well.
Jake Raby
The matching is not an issue after 30 years of wear on the crank timing gear... It was of importance when both gears were new.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.