Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't try this at home!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MiddleGACruiser
I was having trouble with my idle staying around 2 to 2.1K with the occasional drop back to normal. icon14.gif I tried adjusting it and read a lot on D-Jetronic FI. thumb3d.gif The next item in line was to clean the decel valve but I thought I'd wait until after this weekend's run through the mountains for fear of messing it up and missing the drive. Well, when leaving a friends house I put the trans in reverse and backed up but then forgot to put the car in 1st before starting down her drive. I let off the brake and coasted a little ways down then let out the clutch to slow the car. The engine stopped running, turned backwards, spit, and made an awful noise then quit. icon8.gif I said words, stopped, and restarted the engine. It was making a heck of a noise and idling about 3K+. blink.gif I thought oh $h!+ that sounds expensive, got out, listened and thought I blew a head gasket. barf.gif Well it turned out to be the PCV valve was blown out of the case when the engine turned backwards! I put it back in and the idle returned to normal! rocking nana.gif Real normal, not the 2K normal it was doing for a past few weeks! I'm thinking something that was sticking was un-stuck! Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy. driving.gif
VaccaRabite
Gah! I think I'd stick to a less intensive fix... smile.gif

Zach
computers4kids
QUOTE(MiddleGACruiser @ Apr 15 2007, 06:01 PM) *

Well, when leaving a friends house I forgot to put the car in 1st before starting down her drive. I let off the brake and coasted a little ways down then let out the clutch to slow the car. The engine stopped running, turned backwards, spit, and made an awful noise then quit.

Glad it worked out for you...you're brave...I think I would have tried a family remedy first that could be administered within the privacy of your own garage! av-943.gif
MiddleGACruiser
What fluid is used? Where does it hook up? I need step by step instructions and a supplier. Is there a vendor in this group? I bet Dr 914 has them, it looks like an item a doctor would have. Group purchase! w00t2.gif
mike373
You are lucky! I spun my car out a while ago... Forgot to push in the clutch....spun the engine backwards, and blew out the MPS diaphragm.

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.