Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pocono DE Pics / Video
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
This past Saturday was my first track day in my 914. Day 2 was cancelled due to rain/snow, but Saturday was a lot of fun!

Last time I drove at Pocono I was in a 300hp 944 Turbo so this experience was slightly different. I could walk away from most people in the twisties, but I felt really down on power entering the bowl. Most people were curtious enough to let me pass coming onto the bowl. Short of hitting the brakes they really had to back off a lot to let me crawl by, hehe..

I ran on old ass BFG R1s that actually gripped OK given their age. Heads temps were always on my mind and kept distracting me. I have to get rid of the vague VDO gauge and go with something digital.

The car handled really well, no real under or oversteer to speak of. The brakes grabbed well, locked up once or twice.. very little fade. Porterfield R4-S brake, new stock rotors.

There was some drama going on with the admins of the group. A lot of people complained because they let the insructors drive the first entire run out of four in both novice and green groups. Previously my brother and I shared a car, he ran in yellow and I ran in green. They changed their rules and made both of us run green, so drive time was cut in half.

Only a few mechanical issues, clutch needed adjustment 1/2 way through the day. Either the clutch cable is stretching or the pressure plate is cracked. An injector connector loosened up during my brother's run, luckily i was there when he pitted in.

Normally this club pairs you up with instructors that have experience in your car, my guy was good, but didn't know anything about 914s.

Looking forward to the next track day... either pocono south or Limerock. Pocono full or north course would be painful given the longer straights.

Without further delay.. here is the video edited with Adobe Premiere 2.0 Pro:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3...66809&hl=en

and pics: http://flickr.com/photos/infinitelydigital...57600079457633/

IPB Image

Joe Ricard
Have to wait till tonight to view vids.
Looking forward to getting back on a road course. could be fun.
grantsfo
Cool track! Looks like you had fun!
TimT
There was some drama going on with the admins of the group. A lot of people complained because they let the insructors drive the first entire run out of four in both novice and green groups.

I dont get what was going on either... They called me Wednesday evening and asked me to instruct. Apparently there were a few instructors that canceled, one fellows wife gave birth, so he has a legit excuse.. the others I don't know there story.

Also I don't get that I had to drive the students car the whole session. From feedback I heard, this new policy didn't go over well, and probably wont be repeated.

I wanted to check out your car, and the megasquirt install, but with 2 students and driving a session or two in my friends car I never got over to where you were parked.

In all it was a good day at the track
yarin
QUOTE(TimT @ Apr 16 2007, 07:16 PM) *

There was some drama going on with the admins of the group. A lot of people complained because they let the insructors drive the first entire run out of four in both novice and green groups.

I dont get what was going on either... They called me Wednesday evening and asked me to instruct. Apparently there were a few instructors that canceled, one fellows wife gave birth, so he has a legit excuse.. the others I don't know there story.

Also I don't get that I had to drive the students car the whole session. From feedback I heard, this new policy didn't go over well, and probably wont be repeated.

I wanted to check out your car, and the megasquirt install, but with 2 students and driving a session or two in my friends car I never got over to where you were parked.

In all it was a good day at the track

Yea I'm curious if they are going to continue to "steal" an entire run in the future. I agree that first time DErs (novice group) should have an instuctor drive part or all of their first session out. But not people who have been to the track a few times. Maybe its a safety concern.

You can checkout the car next time... i checked out the 800hp beat of a 911. Simple equation: Power, tires, aero and weight. I was out in Red with an instructor when that thing came whistling by. driving.gif
Joe Ricard
What the heck was that? a whole lot of parade laps?
Your car had ALLOT left out there.
And I hate only passing on the straights but I understand why. He like told you that twice.
Spoke
Nice video. Looks like a lot of fun. My buddy goes to Pocono to run his 86 911.

I've been there for Nascar races. I've walked on the track wondering how much fun it would be to run a car at speed.

The last time I was there, they were dedicating the largest piece of coal in PA to non other than King Richard. Yes, there's nothing really happening in PA...
Click to view attachment

In mid July, it is hot as hell in the infield so some guys from Hawk Water hauling brought their rigs full of water. I took this pic not realizing there is a girl under the trailer taking a pee.
Click to view attachment

Nothing like a nice cool bath in the middle of the Pocono infield in July.
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Thnaks for sharing! aktion035.gif driving.gif
yarin
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 16 2007, 11:56 PM) *

What the heck was that? a whole lot of parade laps?
Your car had ALLOT left out there.
And I hate only passing on the straights but I understand why. He like told you that twice.

Hehehe... not far from it. Hey stop poking at the beginner's ribs! First DE with the car, I didn't want to put it into a wall or melt the motor. Next time I promise you'll see some more action.... maybe passing boxsters that are actually moving.

That girl peeing is histerical! Love those shots when you get home and realize what you took. Classy broads!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.