Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: subaru
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
ok my car ate itself over the weekend .. really need a cheap reliable car that is 4 door for the young'uns... I know there are a few subarus fans here .. .how many miles is pushing my luck with a suby... I recall being told that after model year 2000 is a better bet ( not sure if that applied to all models though or what the reason behind it was )... don't really care about model either ... I do prefer a wagon though

thanks for the input
911quest
In my experiecne working as a Subaru tech for 5 years stay away from the DOHC motors any of the 2.2 and 2.5 SOHC cars are very reliable do leak alittle oil I would also go with a 5sp.
brer
headgaskets are now considered a service item for many subarus.

you want the 2001 or newer model unless its had headgaskets done. If the gaskets have been replaced with the new type then you should be alright.
sk8kat1
QUOTE(911quest @ Apr 16 2007, 08:57 AM) *

In my experiecne working as a Subaru tech for 5 years stay away from the DOHC motors any of the 2.2 and 2.5 SOHC cars are very reliable do leak alittle oil I would also go with a 5sp.

what years were the dohc cars .. were they in paricular models?

head gasket .. gotcha

but as far as miles is much life is left in a 100K + car if I luck into a sohc 5sp ?

thanks for the info beerchug.gif
brer
you're good to at least 175k
some go 250K

transmission might give you grief at 175k or so.
axles are a wear item for all wheel drive cars.
brer
DOHC was until 1999.

many with those cars are installing later year short blocks with the 4 cam head for sport.
911quest
The DOHC cars had some problems with the case's cracking causing them to over heat the good things about the SOHC is the ease of maintence is just incredible very easy to work on compared to the DOHC cars. the only trhing you really need to watch is tire diameter they need to stay within 1/8 inch circumfrince of each other or you can burn out the transfer clutch or the visciuos coupling on the manual cars. The head gasket problem is more of a leaking issue more then a over heating problem for my experience
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(911quest @ Apr 16 2007, 11:57 AM) *

the only thing you really need to watch is tire diameter they need to stay within 1/8 inch circumfrince of each other or you can burn out the transfer clutch or the visciuos coupling on the manual cars.

Please elaborate! My auto trans slips a little and I am keeping my fingers crossed it hangs in there another year....Could this have been caused by low tire pressures or miss-matched tires by PO? I've got newish Michelins with lots of life on there now.

My 1999 Outback wagon rocks. Sure, it's 1999 DOHC, slight slip in the auto tranny, but compared to my old Volvo wagon it is quick and nimble (not compared to my 914). GET SERVICE HISTORY! I chose the one I bought because it had DEALER 100,000 and 120,000 mile check-ups with replacement of timing belt and water pump (both NEED 100K replacing), new rotors, pads, tires, cherry interior, 2 sunroofs, tinted windows, leather, CD......the 2000 SOHC cars were all >$8-10k, and mine was $7500 with 125K miles. beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
I have two local friends with 2.5L wagons. Both have blown head gaskets at one point or another. One had hers fixed, one is probably going to sell his car instead.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.