Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rod orientation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
when installing connecting rods on the crank, rods facing their relative direction, are the stamped numbers up or down?

also, is it an acceptable method to install the rod bearings, torque and mic the inner diameter? or plastiguage it.

motor is coming along well. cleaning has taken a week or so, case had black gook in all the galleys. Particularly the main bearing oil galley on the opposise side from the oil cooler, small galley about 4 inches long. Its not on the list for plugs, but i pulled it anyway and found my brushes were coming out covered in sludge more so than any of the others.

yawn.gif
Jake Raby
The TIV rods have no offset, they can go in either way.. BUT I always install them tangs down and numbers up for consistency. Its more habit than anything else.

The correct method of measuring running clearance is to mic the crank and then bore gauge or use a snap gauge to measure the ID of the rod bearing with it torqued into the rod.

Plastigage is not an acceptable means by it's self. It canb be used to back up the numbers you get with the measuring instruments, but I'd never depend on it alone.
brer
thanks man.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.