Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brake caliper adapters- 3 inch to Boxster?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
I see VCI has a listing for 3 inch brake caliper adapters does anyone know if this will allow the use of Boxster calipers on front struts with 3 inch mounting ears? Anyone else done this conversion? Any home machinists made similiar adapters? beerchug.gif
echocanyons
I have boxster brakes on my 914, I used adapters from Rich Johnson, I think EBS sells one too.

I think that I have a different spacing on my struts though (3.5" on 87 carrera struts).

heres the old thread oops thats the rears i don't think I made a thread for the fronts.

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Apr 16 2007, 06:45 PM) *

I see VCI has a listing for 3 inch brake caliper adapters does anyone know if this will allow the use of Boxster calipers on front struts with 3 inch mounting ears? Anyone else done this conversion? Any home machinists made similiar adapters? beerchug.gif
craig downs
Me and Aaron are currently doing this with our 3" struts. We already have the calipers and making adapters to mount them. I don't think nobody makes them for 3" srtuts thats why were making our own.
rfuerst911sc
I see VCI sells a adapter for 3 inch ears but it is for 928 S4 calipers and a 32mm rotor which is overkill for what I am building. I would be interested in adapters for Boxster calipers useing Carrera 24mm rotors. Craig will you guys make any extras to sell?
Aaron Cox
requires some machining of the strut housing.

we will post some pics when they are done.
woobn8r
Hey,

I have a set of 951 f & R calipers...will they fit anything?
sorry for the hi-jack...
Aaron Cox
you need later 911 struts which are 3.5" c to c. 951 calipers are 3.75" c to c. typical method is to slot the caliper ears a 1/8" inward each, to make up for the 1/4" difference.

they require 16" wheels with this method.
TimT
Which calipers are you trying to mount? on Pelican you mention.....
Boxster,964,993 etc.

I don't think nobody makes them for 3" srtuts

again, not true

Like I mentioned in my reply on Pelican VCI can do this. I called Doug Arnao at VCI and explained..that I needed 993 calipers modified to mount to 3 in struts. He machined both the calipers,and made the proper radial mount adapter for 3" mounting.. No machining of the strut is necessary.

VCI isnt cheap, but instead of reinventing the wheel sometimes its more cost effective to pay up for a solution that works..

http://www.vehiclecraft.com/Brakes/VCI911_2_964.htm

I have a set of 951 f & R calipers...will they fit anything?

I think the only real difference between the 951/964/993 calipers is in the piston sizes for the rears.... and the throat on the rears..

Yes you can make them fit a 914, or 911... to do it properly have them machined and made to radial mount. one advantage of this is you can locate the caliper perfectly over th rotor, rather than have pad overhang, or the rotor not centered.
Aaron Cox
I called VCI, there is no 3" to Boxster adapter. the ears get in the way of the pad.

IPB Image
rfuerst911sc
I guess I'll use M calipers and be done with it. Thanks guys.
woobn8r
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 17 2007, 11:24 AM) *

you need later 911 struts which are 3.5" c to c. 951 calipers are 3.75" c to c. typical method is to slot the caliper ears a 1/8" inward each, to make up for the 1/4" difference.

they require 16" wheels with this method.

Thanks Aaron...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.