Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to get FULL CHT harness for VDO gauge?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
hey all.

i have a vdo CHT gauge i picked up from someone, and am having a dang ahrd time finding the VDO sender for it. everyone is selling the 5" one with the coupler on it. I cannot find the one with the connection on it that goes to the gauge....

anyone?
sk8kat1
I am needing the same info .. I have the vdo gauge but I am missing the thermo couple that going in ( i believe ) with the #3 plug -- it was lost in an engine swap mad.gif
Joe Ricard
CB performance for the thermocouple. and your Local flaps for wire and connectors to got from thermocouple to gauge. IT"S JUST WIRE.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 17 2007, 11:29 AM) *

.......and your Local flaps for wire and connectors to got from thermocouple to gauge. IT"S JUST WIRE.

ignorant statement-

its not 'just wire'. Resistance changes with length of wire as does voltage etc.... so what length of wire is it calibrated to Joe? what guage?

just the facts maam.
Aaron Cox
chirco seems to have it, but the picture doesnt represent the whole shebang...
http://www.chircoestore.com/catalog/produc...aaec8bf39a23a44

ill call em after my class.
bd1308
It's an assload of wire Aaron...

i wired my gauge into my 914 and i still have like twice what i need...

i looped it up and stuck it under the passenger carpet, along with my fuel pump re-wire mod, complete with spade connection that gets kicked apart and causes my fuel pump to not run and excess frustration!
bperry
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 17 2007, 01:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 17 2007, 11:29 AM) *

.......and your Local flaps for wire and connectors to got from thermocouple to gauge. IT"S JUST WIRE.

ignorant statement-

its not 'just wire'. Resistance changes with length of wire as does voltage etc.... so what length of wire is it calibrated to Joe? what guage?

just the facts maam.

I bet you will get way more gauge reading variation due to the interaction
of the ambient air temperature with the thermo coupler than you will
experience with using your own self made harness, especially if you take
the time to ensure all the connectors are crimped or soldered properly.

--- bill
type11969
agree.gif
VDO gauges are really only good for indicating variations from the norm and for getting an idea about your temp. If you check out AC.net's page, it lists the wiring as having 15ft:

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewprodu...416200766529408

You can try to match that if you want, but I bet the lengths will make little difference in the readings. I did figure out at one point what the connectors were at the end, they are AMP, but I would have to see if I can find a part number when I get home. Let me know if you need it.

-Chris
john rogers
I bought a replacement and a spare from Summit racing. You can also get them directly from VDO but Summit is cheaper.
sk8kat1
this place seems to have all the parts with pics to se what you are getting

[url=vdo cht ]http://www.egauges.com/vdo_send.asp?Sender=Cyl_Head#FAQ[/url]

now I am questioning if I am right about where / how the thermo couple is mounted ... can someone chime in on this too?
sk8kat1
cht stuff
type11969
CHT copper ring goes between the sparkplug and the head (remove the spark plug washer!). If the engine is out of the car and the tin is off, you can improve the life of the copper ring by notching the spark plug boss (dremel) to give it a little more room to seat in the spark plug bore. It makes more sense if you have the thermocouple assembly, the head, and a spark plug in front of you. When you try to screw the plug into the head with the copper ring underneath it, the tab (where the thermocouple wires connect on the copper ring) gets squished between the plug and the spark plug bore wall. The ring then gets all distorted, chewed up, etc.

I think many people don't bother with the clearancing, but it certainly makes removing and installing spark plugs easier.

-Chris
TravisNeff
I got the wiring separately from local bugshop
type47
i got one from Lockwood Aviation (a while ago) i think located in FL.
StratPlayer
aircooled net has the coupler that goes under the plug. If thats what your looking for.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.