Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does Anybody Make...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
Does anybody make a replacement piece for the steering rack, where the input from the steering column goes into the rubber bumper, a solid piece either delrin/polyurethane or steel/aluminum? I believe that may be contributing the failure of my steering rack but if anybody makes them or if someone could make one, let me know.

I'll shoot a picture a bit later this evening, but if you've had a steering rack out before I think you know what I'm talking about...
Aaron Cox
why not just remove it, and bolt the 2 pieces back together? i believe if you rotate one 90 degrees it will bolt up to the other...

you will have alot more steering feedback.

get an alignment to fix the steering wheel location or remove it and reclock it.
Brando
Ah but what do I do to make up for the space? I'd still need a spacer of sorts to regain that distance...
SLITS
Szzzzzzzoooooo, yer telling me the rack didn't fix yer problem.

Yer sayin' the rubber coupler is the problem?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brando @ Apr 17 2007, 03:51 PM) *

Does anybody make a replacement piece for the steering rack, where the input from the steering column goes into the rubber bumper, a solid piece either delrin/polyurethane or steel/aluminum? I believe that may be contributing the failure of my steering rack but if anybody makes them or if someone could make one, let me know.

it's a "hardy disk" ... well, it sure looks like one anyways.

i would NOT replace it with anything solid!

it's supposed to absorb some of the steering vibrations. without it, you'd feel any little dustspeck and ripple on the road in your steering wheel.

if it's broken or brittle, try your favorite porsche dealer. they're the same as on early 911s, so i'm pretty sure replacements are available.

if not, try the usual used parts outlets ...
bye1.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
GUIBO is the technical term i believe. they are also used on BMY driveshafts smile.gif
Brando
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 17 2007, 05:08 PM) *
Szzzzzzzoooooo, yer telling me the rack didn't fix yer problem.

Yer sayin' the rubber coupler is the problem?
I haven't swapped the racks yet... Hoping I don't have to. I still have to take the belly pan off and inspect the rack at that point. I'll have to get an extension cord and my favorite drop light this evening and take a look after work.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 17 2007, 05:12 PM) *
it's a "hardy disk" ... well, it sure looks like one anyways.

i would NOT replace it with anything solid!

it's supposed to absorb some of the steering vibrations. without it, you'd feel any little dustspeck and ripple on the road in your steering wheel.
Thanks Andy. I'll keep the stock rubberish one then on the replacement rack I have.
SLITS
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 17 2007, 05:19 PM) *

GUIBO is the technical term i believe. they are also used on BMY driveshafts smile.gif

GUIBO .... Doesn't he carry a violin case with a semi-automatic in it?

Gooybo .... sounds like a Corona thing.
911quest
You can get it thru pelican I just ordered one for my 65 911 it's @ 85.00
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.