Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cone Screws
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StratPlayer
Any tips or tricks to getting the screws loose without stripping them out. Bastards won't budge.
John
I use a non-worn allen bit to remove them. You may try a propane torch to heat it up a bit. I would try not to use too much heat or you will melt the bushings.

You may also want to try some PB Blaster.

just a couple of thoughts...
Dave_Darling
Agreed. Don't use one of those "wobble" or ball-end Allen bits, they don't grab the hex as well. Tap it in there with a hammer (not too hard!) to make sure it's fully seated. Then apply some grunt to it.

--DD
mrhurtalot
or do what i did.

strip that shit.

and then drill that shit.

and then destroy your bushing.

and then get frustrated becasue that shit wont come off the shift rod.

still, three weeks later. my trannys not dropped STILL
BMartin914
PB Blaster and a set of metric hex sockets are your best friend. A key will just increase your odds of stripping the thing.

Soak it down really well for a couple of days (maybe) depending on how good it's in there.
Bartlett 914
If it was put in using loctite then sone heat may be needed. Loctite will break down with heat. It doesn't take a lot of heat. Maybe enough to make very uncomfortable to hold.
TheCabinetmaker
If they are hopelessly strpped, use a torx bit that is just a litle too big and hammer it in till it bottoms out. screw will back out. always replace with new screws.
914Sixer
New set screws come with some sort of sealant on the side. I do not know what it is. I got a couple of them in this week. PB Blaster seems to work the best if you let it set a day. When all else fails, large vice grips have been known to be effective.
StratPlayer
Thanks for all the advice, I'm letting it soak, sprayed it with some PB Blaster. I'll wait till tomorrow to see if it budges. If it don't I'll try heating it up just a little and see if that will break it lose. Which vendor sells these cones screws.
John
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Apr 18 2007, 09:50 AM) *

Thanks for all the advice, I'm letting it soak, sprayed it with some PB Blaster. I'll wait till tomorrow to see if it budges. If it don't I'll try heating it up just a little and see if that will break it lose. Which vendor sells these cones screws.

All the typical vendors sell them. Take your pick.
TROJANMAN
Torx bit, lightly tapped into place wink.gif
I just did this when we dropped the engine out of Aunt Brant's car
jimtab
hex bit, 3/8 drive and an impact driver.....why complicate things?
Tobra
QUOTE(jimtab @ Apr 18 2007, 06:43 PM) *

hex bit, 3/8 drive and an impact driver.....why complicate things?

Good idea.

Will just need to get the right size bit for the driver.

The little nylon button on the side is not enough, or was not on mine. Blue loctite on mine. Does PB blaster dissolve loctite?
Toast
Mine come loose by driving on these crappy So. Cal. roads. dry.gif

I know that Utah has some crappy roads......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.