Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: first autocross in the 914!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Scott-thundercat
went autoXing this pass weekend- what a blast. my car has no shifter bushings so rather than missing gears i just stayed in second the whole time. here's a video link and pictures.
first lap did a 74! it was so bad cause i was going way too fast coming into corners and also got there so late i couldnt walk the course and i was guessing! last run was the fastest at a 66.645 0.205 seconds off a 97 porsche 993 TT!!! not bad i guess!

fun stuff! sorry the cars so ugly- it sat since 89!!!

IPB Image
IPB Image

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7...46725&hl=en

also a 993 TT was there!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=70...45253&hl=en

yarin
Awesome! Fun car right? Light, nimble... Great AutoX platform!

Did the 914 AutoX bug bite you yet? I'm already planning to attend as much as possible this season. beerchug.gif

Thanks for sharing!
mudfoot76
QUOTE(Scott-thundercat @ Apr 18 2007, 03:16 AM) *

0.205 seconds off a 97 porsche 993 TT!!! not bad i guess!

Congrats on bringing one back to life! It's always fun to nip at the heels of something like a 993TT. I still relish in the memory of the time I got a point by from a GT3 at a DE driving.gif
Joe Ricard
Yup just when they start thumbing their noses at the little NARP they realize you are going by them through the ESSES. or stomped a hole in their Turbo packing beast in an Autocross.

I just kinda get all warm inside remembering all the PCA guys giving me and the Red Neck Racer a hard time. Beat them by 3 seconds and watch them turn and hide their heads.
GaroldShaffer
aktion035.gif Welcome to the madness. Becareful autocrossing is a slippery slope. next thing you know will be making just a few small mods to the car blink.gif
Chris Pincetich
Sweet...another sleeper 914 strikes! Those photos are a great example of what 914s should be doing, IMHO, driving hard in an AX instead of gettin all pretty and tricked only to sit in the garage all the time. Study those courses, hit your apexes, and feel the wonderful slip of being 95% in control beerchug.gif
Dominic L
Congrats on getting out there and pushing the old puppy. Be careful, though. Autocrossing is like a narcotic!! Ask me how I know!!
Dominic L
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Apr 18 2007, 05:31 PM) *

Sweet...another sleeper 914 strikes! Those photos are a great example of what 914s should be doing, IMHO, driving hard in an AX instead of gettin all pretty and tricked only to sit in the garage all the time. Study those courses, hit your apexes, and feel the wonderful slip of being 95% in control beerchug.gif

Agreed! Nothing like steering with the throttle in a long sweeper! And those slaloms feel oh so good. Almost better then...... nah not that good!
Joe Ricard

Agreed! Nothing like steering with the throttle in a long sweeper! And those slaloms feel oh so good. Almost better then...... nah not that good!
[/quote]

Maybe you should go faster. poke.gif
ottox914
Ahhhhh..... another innocent 914 owner catches the virus... I would suggest the following if you really have the bug. Don't do a thing but drive. Spend your hard earned $$$ the first season working on the driver. Give the car a good, basic tune up, plugs, wires, check timing, wheel bearings, allignment, tire pressures, new brake pads and fluid, the simple, basic, cheep stuff. Spend the rest of your time and money on events. As many as possible. Get seat time. Arrive early, walk the course lots, use the instructor ride alongs at the events, (I see you had a co-pilot in the photos). If you're still nutty about the sport after a season, step 2 is get the rule book for car prep for the club you will drive the most with. Study it. Alot. Then decide what class you can afford to put your car into, (in terms of $$$ and how much street car you want to keep in your 914 vs how much race car) and if you want to tinker with the car, use the rule book as your shopping list. Start with tires, then suspension, then motor, in that order, as doing tires just involves money, and little work, gives alot of bang for the buck, suspension involves a little more work, but its really just alot of remove and replace, bolt on stuff, motor work gets $$$ and takes more work and specialized tools to do a "Jake" quality job of it.

Here's the most common tip I give my students: Be Safe. Go Fast. Have Fun.

Welcome to the addiction.
Scott-thundercat
hey thanks for all the responses guys! i bought some 320i calipers a while back but havent put em on yet- my stockies are not up to snuff at all! i'm going to try to do the one next weekend- so we shall see how it goes- i feel i have tons of room for improvment, and the car (besides the stupid push rod tubes leaking and some blowby) seems like a capable weapon. so for now i will resist and try to keep it stock.

so much fun!

Scott
Joe Ricard
If you put the 320i calipers on say "Welcome to Street Prepared"
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH STOCK BRAKES.
Porterfiled pads and rebuilt calipers and you will be fine
I PROMISE.
Chris Pincetich
agree.gif
When my 914 was put back in service after years on the curb, it took 3 FULL flushes of the brake fluid before it was all clean and bubble free...fresh fluid is gud. Many 914s run great AX and some track with stock brakes.
DerekKim
Yeah I have done a few AXs with my porterfields. Yum! Braking is saweet! Everything else is stock.
jhadler
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 23 2007, 01:04 PM) *

If you put the 320i calipers on say "Welcome to Street Prepared"

Sorry there Joe, but bimmer brakes aren't legal in SP either... Say "Welcome to PREPARED or STREET MODIFIED"

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH STOCK BRAKES.
Porterfiled pads and rebuilt calipers and you will be fine
I PROMISE.

agree.gif agree.gif

People bad mouth the stock brakes, but truth be told, a set of stock brakes in good working condition (this is the important part) are just fine. Not only for autox, where stock brakes can often be better than "big brakes", but even for limited track use.

Really, if you can lock up the tires, you have enough clamping force. If you can modulate the brakes to threshold, there is nothing more you need untill you either suffer brake fade at the track (where cooling will make a WORLD of difference), or you go to really big meaty race tires and can no longer lock-em up. Then, and only then, would I consider going to more brake (if the rules allowed it).

-Josh2
Joe Ricard
I see my mistake, I should have opened my PDF of the rules before making claims to Street prepared. It's been so long since I had a street prepared car I forgot.

And the Welcome to street mod is NOT where a stock motor 914 would want to run. When compared to Andy Mckee's FD that is still only close to the limit of the rules.
The only way a 914 can be competative is to sink MASSIVE money into it. FP or in a weak XP field which I am hoping for. I am gunning for the C4 vette on slicks in 3 weeks. stay tuned.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.