Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The last 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Downunderman
It was suggested to me yesterday that a production 6 at the end of the run, possibly the last was delivered witha 2.7 motor. Any clues? Gustl must know. It may overcome an eligibility issue down here if true.

H
Aaron Cox
flared, late bumpers (75 or 76), and 5 lug from what i remember. was custom built for a friend of the family....
Gustl
I wouldn't call the '75-body model a production 6 - it's a one-off

AFAIK "one of the last" ones was the only 914-6 that left the factory with a 2.7 RS engine (I'm talking of street cars without 916)

it's 914.2.43.0259 which also had the M471 option
Downunderman
Thanks Gustl. I thought you would know. Cheers. H
914Sixer
I thought the Doctor had the last 914-6 that was made in 72. It was turned into a production mule for testing the last years of its life before showing up the US. I remember reading the story in Excellence in the 90's. Am I wrong?
Justinp71
QUOTE(Gustl @ Apr 18 2007, 03:43 AM) *

I wouldn't call the '75-body model a production 6 - it's a one-off

AFAIK "one of the last" ones was the only 914-6 that left the factory with a 2.7 RS engine (I'm talking of street cars without 916)

it's 914.2.43.0259 which also had the M471 option

That is a sweet car.... drooley.gif
davep
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 18 2007, 08:25 AM) *

I thought the Doctor had the last 914-6 that was made in 72. It was turned into a production mule for testing the last years of its life before showing up the US. I remember reading the story in Excellence in the 90's. Am I wrong?

George may want to respond to this, and I think he may have already done so in another thread. However, the car he claims as the last 914/6 is # 0240, and we know for a fact that #0260 was built. For a long time the literature stated that #0240 was the last one built, and we do not know how this 'fact' came about. Much the same is true for the 914/4, stating that #04075 was the last when we have a member here with # 04099 and other literature stating 04100 was the last. There are also suspicions that the VINs start at 0011 for all 914/6 not just the 916, and the same may be true of the 914/4. If so, this would knock 100 cars out of the total production. Also, a friend had a 550 Spyder with a VIN one past the normally accepted range. I suspect the factory was just sloppy with the numbers.
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Apr 18 2007, 09:25 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 18 2007, 08:25 AM) *

George may want to respond to this, and I think he may have already done so in another thread. However, the car he claims as the last 914/6 is # 0240, and we know for a fact that #0260 was built. For a long time the literature stated that #0240 was the last one built, and we do not know how this 'fact' came about. Much the same is true for the 914/4, stating that #04075 was the last when we have a member here with # 04099 and other literature stating 04100 was the last. There are also suspicions that the VINs start at 0011 for all 914/6 not just the 916, and the same may be true of the 914/4. If so, this would knock 100 cars out of the total production. Also, a friend had a 550 Spyder with a VIN one past the normally accepted range. I suspect the factory was just sloppy with the numbers.

also keep in mind that the last VIN does not have to mean that it was the last car build.
porsche was also notorious for putting out cars in different order than their VIN number would indicate.

it's quite possible that there were at least two "latest /6" cars, one that was actually build the last and one that has the last production VIN ...
bye1.gif Andy
McMark
agree.gif

Porsche gets a train full of 914 shells and they're not going to sort them out by VIN number. They grab the first one they find and start building.
brer
so where and when were the numbers stamped into the chassis?
r_towle
QUOTE(DownUnderMan @ Apr 18 2007, 07:15 AM) *

Question,

does this car being built give you a valid arguement that may allow you to build another car, with the same options, and race it in a "stock" class?

At least in a class that allows only the factory available options for that year??

Rich
Gustl
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 18 2007, 08:01 PM) *
At least in a class that allows only the factory available options for that year??

I don't know anything about race classes, but this was definitely no factory available option
this was special built on demand (I'm talking about the engine)

at these days you could get almost everything from Porsche, when you had the money - and it was possible

there is a rumor of a MY'70 M471 ... long befor it was officially for sale
a guy brought the money and Porsche built it (remember: rumor)

wavey.gif Gustl
Downunderman
In classic rallies for this year on there is a maximun capacity increase of 17% (strange number don't know where it came from) but since digging around I have established that a 916 prototype was built narrow body with a 2.2 (there is some divergence of opinion on whether this was the prototype - this is the Freisinger car) and now this car factory delivered with a 2.7. It probably means I can continue to use my 2.7 motor, as it appears to have been an "option". Otherwise I can have 1.991 + 17% or 2.2 +17% which are way less than 2.7. Alternativly, go 916 replica with the 2.7 which I don't want to do. I like the car narrow.

I suppose I should ask the question: did the factory ever produce a narrow body 2.7?

How can I verify that 914.2.43.0259 came with a 2.7?
Gustl
QUOTE(DownUnderMan @ Apr 18 2007, 10:03 PM) *
... but since digging around I have established that a 916 prototype was built narrow body with a 2.2 (there is some divergence of opinion on whether this was the prototype - this is the Freisinger car)

the Freisinger car is definitely NOT the 916 prototype car!

916 prototype = 914.1.43.0195

Freisinger's car = 914.0.43.0376 => this one was a factory test car for chassis stiffness, therefore it had a steel roof (like the 916s), a 2.2 S engine and the standard narrow body
other interesting detail: it has a movable steering column

I suppose I should ask the question: did the factory ever produce a narrow body 2.7?

no one that I would know - but they built 2 narrow body 3.0 ... well, 8-Zyl rolleyes.gif

How can I verify that 914.2.43.0259 came with a 2.7?

I have this info from the Porsche 914-6 Club in Germany - they have some members that worked as engineers at Porsche in these days

wavey.gif Gustl
woobn8r
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 18 2007, 01:01 PM) *

QUOTE(DownUnderMan @ Apr 18 2007, 07:15 AM) *

Question,

does this car being built give you a valid arguement that may allow you to build another car, with the same options, and race it in a "stock" class?

Rich

I believe this to be a valid argument. If it left the factory that way and was documented, there is no reason you should not be allowed to "clone" it for classification purposes. If you were not allowed this would give an advantage to the person that theoretically could show up with that car.
RSWannabe
Don't know about a 2.7, but I know a guy who bought his 914-6 new off the lot (still owns it too) and drove it for years. When he tore it down to upgrade the motor's performance he found it was actually a 2.2 T motor, and not a 2.0. So no great leap of the imagination that the factory might have slipped a 2.7 into a late six if they didn't have a 2.0 handy on a certain day.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.