Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how much oil do you run?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
I have heard different people say different amounts for different reasons . I have heard just at the full ine , just over .. I have even heard a specific # of quarts ... how much oil do you run in your engine ...2.0L stock ....
r_towle
for an autocross, get to the line then 1/2 quart more.

For the street, normal use...the line is there for a reason...I use that.

Rich
Coy
Okay, well here's something I'm not sure about... When checking the oil, do you push the stick all the way back in or just to the lip? My BMW boxer manual (it's just about half a VW motor) says to lay that dipstick on the lip of the hole as apposed to screwing it back down in. In the 2 liter it makes the difference of about 1/4 - 1/3 quart, whether I press it in or just lay it on the lip. Will over filling cause excessive case pressure either way?
sk8kat1
QUOTE(Coy @ Apr 18 2007, 09:07 AM) *

Okay, well here's something I'm not sure about... When checking the oil, do you push the stick all the way back in or just to the lip? My BMW boxer manual (it's just about half a VW motor) says to lay that dipstick on the lip of the hole as apposed to screwing it back down in. In the 2 liter it makes the difference of about 1/4 - 1/3 quart, whether I press it in or just lay it on the lip. Will over filling cause excessive case pressure either way?

that is a good question too ! popcorn[1].gif
So.Cal.914
I run 1/2 qt over always.
brer
high oil levels can damage an engine.
I do not know how high is "high" in a 914 though.

Dave_Darling
Push the dipstick all the way in.

Too much oil will not cause high oil pressure.

It can, however, cause high oil temps and a whole lot of load on the engine. If the crank starts hitting oil that is splashing up from the sump, or heaven help us the crank throws hit oil sitting in the sump, that's a whole lot of extra work the engine is doing, and much of that goes into heating the oil up directly!

Now, you have to get waaaaaaaaaaaay full for that to happen... Remember, the crank is up above the cam. You'll get oil coming out of the pushrod tubes and filling up the rocker boxes before you get the crank slamming into the oil (except for oil that is splashing around).

I put four quarts in and call it good. That's about 1/4" over the full line on the dipstick. I have the Weltmeister "Tuna Can", which gives me a little more capacity than stock. Even if I didn't, I'd probably run the full four quarts in it.

--DD
Coy
See, I knew if I asked the question somebody would know the answer. There are a ton of people here, alot smarter than me.

Dave, I bought my car from a guy named Joe Sharpe in Portland, Oregon, and when we were talking 914s he spoke very highly of you. Now I know why. Thanks!
Aaron Cox
6.5 qts......

front cooler and 30 feet of line smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.