Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: My new ride
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kckoch
So back in 2002, I was at the Oralndo Car show, and Dodge had a couple of concept cars. One that knocked me on my feet was their station wagon with the hemi.

Today, we all know this as the Magnum, and although I enjoy driving my H1, I couldn't help but be drawn to the SRT line from Mopar. Packing 425hp out the door, a couple of enhancements and your screaming fast.

My birthday was Friday, and after about a year of concentrated full tachtical discussions with my wife, I finally broke my wife's spell, walked into a dealer, and purchased the Dodge Magnum SRT-8.

I'm sure I will get flack for buying a Dodge, and even more for buying a station wagon, but this car is fun. I drove across the state over the weekend, and got caught behind 9 cars driving 55 in a 60. One tap of the pedal, and "whoosh" passed all 9 and hit 140mph without waking up my wife sleeping in the passenger seat.

Magnums have not done well on the lot's, in-fact you can still find 0 mile 2006 Magnum SRT-8s at dealers. Aside from my 914/6, everyday cars are typically a losing investment, so who cares about re-sale value, this car is fun!

Let the teasing commence!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
They are nice cars. I was trying to convince the wife that should her next car rolleyes.gif But she wanted a Dodge Nitro which we ordered 8 weeks ago and just pickup last night.
r_towle
one question.
What is the real world MPG?

Rich
John
I like it.

flag.gif
kckoch
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 18 2007, 10:40 AM) *

one question.
What is the real world MPG?

Rich

Well, according to the on board computer, I'm about 19mpg on the highway, and 14.8 in the city. Not bad consiering a couple of years ago, my 6cyl Ford Explorer got 14 in the city, and that was guttless!
Midtowner
Way to go! SRT-8! I've got a 2005 R/T and love it. As a matter of mileage reference, I have logged 24,800 miles and averaged 18.7 miles/gal - roughly 65% city/35% highway. YMMV of course.

BTW: Don't even think of driving in the snow. I spun my R/T this past Saturday leaving Yosemite National Park and almost went over a 1,000 foot cliff. Lesson learned: If you see snow falling, turn around. Once you start slipping, it's too late.

Enjoy the ride!

Click to view attachment

TROJANMAN
Sweet Ride. No teasing here.

They make them with AWD wink.gif
So.Cal.914
Back in the mid seventys alot of us gearheads were trying to aquire a charger,

super bee, anything with a 426 hemi. I was so pleased to see the hemi make a

come back in production cars. I think those SW's are very cool, FAST and a place

for your surfboard.
kckoch
QUOTE(Midtowner @ Apr 18 2007, 11:09 AM) *

BTW: Don't even think of driving in the snow. I spun my R/T this past Saturday leaving Yosemite National Park and almost went over a 1,000 foot cliff. Lesson learned: If you see snow falling, turn around. Once you start slipping, it's too late.

Enjoy the ride!

Click to view attachment

If I see snow falling, turning around will be the least of my worries. Sunny South Florida!
nomore9one4
A Magnum is the next car on my list to purchase. I have wanted one since they first came into production. Either silver or the pearl white. drooley.gif
Midtowner
Tom Trudell on this forum bought an R/T soon after my purchase but I haven't heard from him in a while. Hello Tom? bye1.gif
scotty b
Does the R/T have the REALLY sweet seats that Dodge is using in the "performance" line now? They have some kind of monicker for it that I can't remember.
sixnotfour
They make them with AWD

my wifes new ride 3.5-v-6 AWD, just right she can still take the kids snowboarding . mileage 17-18 around town
She's happy,
my cars dont take water, well not in the cooliong system anyway.
kckoch
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 18 2007, 06:50 PM) *

Does the R/T have the REALLY sweet seats that Dodge is using in the "performance" line now? They have some kind of monicker for it that I can't remember.

RT Seats Standard

Click to view attachment

SRT8 and the RT Track Performance

Click to view attachment

SRT10 Viper

Click to view attachment
cnavarro
Sweet car. My best friend's mom had one for driving to and from their ranch. Got lemoned though for a defective transmission and various other components even after being repaired 3 times in 24,000 mi. They got every dime back after almost two years of driving it and a call from the CEO with a personal apology. They ended up getting the viper pickup as a replacement at a steep discount :-) They don't do an AWD SRT/8 unfortunately. I might have bought one if that was the case over my wife's current 4motion w8 passat.
RSWannabe
No teasing here. I LOVE fast wagons. My two previous daily drivers were a WRX wagon that I'd "breathed" upon comprehensively and an '05 Audi S4 avant. Both were great cars and I'm sure I'll get another fast wagon again, but for now I'm liking my E36 M3 sedan. Fast wagons are just too cool though.
Porcharu
Cool car but that mileage is just horrible. My 8000 pound 4x4 truck does better. I get 21 on the highway with crappy all terrain tires - I hope to pick up a few MPG with some good tires. smile.gif
kckoch
QUOTE(cnavarro @ Apr 19 2007, 03:00 PM) *

Sweet car. My best friend's mom had one for driving to and from their ranch. Got lemoned though for a defective transmission and various other components even after being repaired 3 times in 24,000 mi. They got every dime back after almost two years of driving it and a call from the CEO with a personal apology. They ended up getting the viper pickup as a replacement at a steep discount :-) They don't do an AWD SRT/8 unfortunately. I might have bought one if that was the case over my wife's current 4motion w8 passat.

Wow, good to know. The transmissions are Damler from the AMG line. Mine's been smooth. Good to know that Dodge cares. Was her's a SRT8?
Midtowner
QUOTE(kckoch @ Apr 18 2007, 10:20 AM) *

My birthday was Friday, and after about a year of concentrated full tachtical discussions with my wife, I finally broke my wife's spell, walked into a dealer, and purchased the Dodge Magnum SRT-8.

Magnums have not done well on the lot's, in-fact you can still find 0 mile 2006 Magnum SRT-8s at dealers. Aside from my 914/6, everyday cars are typically a losing investment, so who cares about re-sale value, this car is fun!

Let the teasing commence!

So, I though a lot of what you said here and spent the next two weeks tactically talking to my wife. Like you, I got my wife's approval and...upgraded to this:Click to view attachment
It's all your fault! happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.