Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternative Dash Top Coverings-revisited
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
Ok so this topic has kinda been covered on dash faces...but what about dash tops?

Heard you can bondo or 'glass it smooth and paint...anyone have pics?

How about felt or thin vinyl clipped stretched and glued...anyone?

Post your street car pics; race cars shouldn't have it right huh.gif
r_towle
An alternative that you really should save up for is from Camp914.

He has found a way to recover them properly.

www.camp914.com

Rich
Allan
If cost is the concern and not originality, I would go with one of the $65-70.00 caps that just pop over the old dash. I have looked at 2 cars with them and they look great...
McMark
I would expect bondo/body filler to pop off in SHORT order. The dash top is slightly 'squishy' and bondo ain't. wink.gif
Coy
When I get to that point I plan to buy a replacment from Camp 914 (first I'm saving up for seats) but in the mean time I bought a cover from Pelican. In about 5 seconds I improved the look of my dash about 1000%. smile.gif
7TPorsh
The camp's stuff is nice. drooley.gif a little pricey for me right now.

Looks like a cover seems to be the fix...good news; maybe I'll sell the carpet cover I have now. There seems to be a demand on them.
Justinp71
QUOTE(Headrage @ Apr 18 2007, 11:40 AM) *

If cost is the concern and not originality, I would go with one of the $65-70.00 caps that just pop over the old dash. I have looked at 2 cars with them and they look great...

They're $105 at pelican, does some one else sell them cheaper?
Eric_Shea

I had serious problems with those... even the upgraded style. It's not unimaginable for the interior temps to hit 120+. I had one in my 911 and it warped and peeled. Waste of good money that could be spent recovering it properly.

Hey... if you're enterprising and adventurous enough, get some vinyl and give it a go. The dash comes out with a little elbow grease. I watched a local upholstery shop do one. It went like this:

1. Air powered DA to scuff up the surface.
2. Marglass or other quality filler on any cracks or imperfections.
3. DA again and clean.
4. Spray with 3M trim adhesive (both surfaces as per instructions).
5. Work new vinyl onto the dash.

As with any job, prep and tricks will make it good. Prep is listed above. Tricks seemed to include knowing where to start and how to properly pull and bend the vinyl so as not to cause wrinkles and buldges.
7TPorsh
My car is interior is all apart already and I have 2 crap dash tops I can play with.
I want to try the vinyl.

My main concern would be how to cut/trim it to contour corners.

jasons
Get the right vinyl There is stuff out there that is really workable with a heat gun. You aint gonna find it at JoAnn fabrics though. Try these guys selectproducts.com They sell car stereo install stuff. I've never done anything with that vinyl, but I think its what you will need.

SelectProducts.com

Also, I think if you wanted to do glass, you would have to remove the vinyl. OR, at least scuff it real deep. I don't think glass will adhere to that vinyl, as is.
Coy
I was actually looking for a quick cheap cover made out of decent material. I had heard good things about the one at Pelican. So far it's never gotten hot,. I guess I'll see if it wads up like Eric described. That seems very possible, but I'm hoping this one can stand up. It's fairly thick material.

I looked into this one, but it is actually a kit to recover your dash: www.porschepalace.com

You can ship your dash to them and they'll do it and ship it back. But then you have to trust UPS or somebody not to fold spindle or mutilate your dash both ways.

The guy I talked to was very knowledgeable & helpful and it sounds like they have a good product. I would have tried it, if I had an extra dash laying around, but I only have one dash that I eventually plan to use as a core at Camp914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.