Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ot: odd 6 transplat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
so has anyone ever put a 6 into a ghia? I would like info please things to watch out for , etc?

thanks beerchug.gif
Aaron Cox
been done before. think i saw it in an OOOOLLLD ot VW's mag. you can stuff em into busses... so why not? smile.gif
BMXerror
What's a 'transplat'? poke.gif
Mark D.
Allan
Someone posted a video of a Ghia with a /6 in it a couple of years ago. It was FAST!!!
914nerd
That's what happens when you drive that Ghia with a 6 head on into a cliff
(or large truck or...)
sk8kat1
do you recall was the 911 trans used ... or do you think a cheaper alternative would be a suby ... looking for reliable too. my daily driver ate it self to the tune of 5K+ in repairs and I need a temp daily till I get another car .Catch is I have to have a back seat for my kids too. I stubled on a ghia roller for CHEAP!! so it plus an engine of my choosing may be cheaper than fixing the other or buying a new to me car .
type11969
A stock ghia (beetle) engine or a t4 can be cheap and reliable. Certainly cheaper and easier than figuring out how to install a 6 into a ghia.

-Chris
Aaron Cox
agree.gif

it isnt exactly straight forward LOL
kckoch
I did one years ago. Not easy nor worth the hassle in the end. Cutting firewall, modify trunk lid, etc. Why not just get a new core, and hop it up. Cheaper, faster, and less trouble.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(kckoch @ Apr 18 2007, 02:53 PM) *

I did one years ago. Not easy nor worth the hassle in the end. Cutting firewall, modify trunk lid, etc. Why not just get a new core, and hop it up. Cheaper, faster, and less trouble.

Does anyone mayke a kit to suby the Ghia?

Zach
jd74914
Ever hear of Bader Racing?

IPB Image
IPB Image
scotty b
Super 90 in a Ghia is a hella fun ride too aktion035.gif
Aaron Cox
that 3.6 ghia looks like a rocket!
scotty b
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 18 2007, 03:10 PM) *

that 3.6 ghia looks like a rocket!

Go to the website and watch the in car video !! driving.gif
IronHillRestorations
I guess the only argument I'd have for doing that, is why do that to a Ghia, when you could do it to a 914 instead? I like the lines of the Ghia, but as far as putting lots of power in a small car the 914 is a better platform. But that's just me, do whatever you like!
Twystd1
I happen to be sitting with the fella that bought Gene Berg's Ghia that Gene had transplanted a six in.

Twas a 2.4 six with a Berg5 speed. Full cage, 911 disks, etc... etc....

He is telling me that it was difficult to drive at anything over 60 - 70 MPH.
The car floated badly as the suspension was never dialed in correctly.
Apparently the Ghia came off the ground in turns. It airplaned.........

I faintly remember this car when he owned it. Was painted white with the same style of wheels that are in the picture above.

My friend Brian sold it to a fella in the Bay area. He got 18.5 K for it.

Wow...... It always amazes me about how small our world really is......

Cheers,

Clayton

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.