Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trans Selector Rod Seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lotus_65
hey guys,

i'm trying to replace the Selector Rod Seal and it's really in there tight. I tried prying it out but started marring the boss before it even budged.

i also tried some heat from my map gas, but still no action...

anyone help please?

thanks
paul
brer
bo selecta!

smoke.gif
r_towle
If you are talking about the side shift console o-ring...

Its in there pretty tight to begin with and the aluminum corrodes and basically rusts in there.

Take a rubber mallet and hit it so it twists.
Back and forth.
Only go an 1/8 of an inch in either direction, to far and you break parts inside...

It takes time and patience,but you can do it.

Rich
Phoenix914
I changed that seal just three weeks ago. Mine was in tight too. Just be patient with it and it will start coming out. Same thing when you install the new one. Relatively gentle taps until it's all the way in.
lotus_65
thanks, i'll keep after it. for clarification, it's this:
Click to view attachment

big bird article

and especially, thanks, brer... i only wish i knew what it means! blink.gif
QUOTE(brer @ Apr 18 2007, 02:00 PM) *

bo selecta!

smoke.gif

lotus_65
mission accomplished.

it was tapping it to turn it in it's seat that did it, at the same time smoking something wacky!

thanks.
IronHillRestorations
I gotta do one on a tail shifter, which is new territory for me, anyone done that?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Apr 18 2007, 02:27 PM) *

thanks, i'll keep after it. for clarification, it's this:
Click to view attachment

big bird article

and especially, thanks, brer... i only wish i knew what it means! blink.gif
QUOTE(brer @ Apr 18 2007, 02:00 PM) *

bo selecta!

smoke.gif

GOOD!!! You tool the roll pin out of the correct end of that shaft. For some reason, when the roll pin is removed from the shaft inside the transmission, it will eventually shear after reassembly. This leaves you stranded in 3rd gear in the hills around Austin, and makes you beg garage space from one of the locals on the tour so you can install a borrowed shift console.......... biggrin.gif

If you have someone who is really good, have them TIG the selector fork onto the shaft so it won't happen to you.
lotus_65
ACK!
Clay, that pic is from the Big Bird site, I removed the fork because I didn't want to mess with the bushing and all... How many miles did yours last before it let go?

Man, as if that project wasn't hard enough!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.