Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to weld on my new bung
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
terrymason
I'm looking for the best place to mount my new o2 sensor. My wife was rolling when I showed her the bag that came with it that was labeled bung and bung plug...

Anyway, does the red circle in the picture look like the best place to weld it on?

IPB Image
Twystd1
Unless my browser is smoking crack... (possible)

I see no picture.

Da Twystd1
Brando
Put it into the square section, near the middle.

Clayton, must be crack... Mine's on LSD and sees the kelidescope of images just fine.
terrymason
Lets attach it another way.

Is the flat plate the "1" in the 4 to 2 into 1 that I've heard reference to?
Twystd1
On the assumption that the two pipes under the flat plate are "Siamesed".

And you will see BOTH sides of the exhaust.

I would put the bung dead nuts center in that plate.

Clayton
bd1308
They do NOT join together at that point
Aaron Cox
those exhausts dont siamese like britt said... so you would need 2 02's to monitor whole engine.
r_towle
If this is for tuning FI, put it on the passenger side after the muffler.

That will show you the leanest cylinder of them all, #3

Rich
bd1308
that would be my recommended site for O2 bung as well

I plan to do this both to my Bus and the 914, to enable fine autotuning of megasquirt.
Twystd1
This is a possible option.

Lets suppose you drill the hole in the middle of the plate anyway. Weld a bung in. THEN weld up whatever openings appeared around the pipe.

I have ZERO clue if would hurt or help performance from an exhaust perspective. (L&R pulses seeing each other than designed)

Just a thought...

C
terrymason
OK, so it sounds like my red circle would work, and should end up reading for cylinder 3 & 4.

Rich,
Did you really mean "after the muffler", as in 6 inches before the chrome tips? Would that be better than where I circled?

I thought that I'd want the exhaust as hot as possible (even though this is a wideband, with a heated o2 sensor).
McMark
I'd put it before the muffler.

I wonder if adding in a small 'crossover' pipe and putting the O2 there would be good/bad/irrelevant.
ClayPerrine
I would put it where the yelllow circle is in this pict. Cut a hole that intersects both pipes, and put the bung in so that it points inward. This puts the O2 sensor in the exhaust flow of both pipes.

Click to view attachment
Brando
Cut open the middle part there, open it up, join the two sides and install the 02 bung.
terrymason
OH no!

I was really excited to get my muffler back - I sanded it and painted it:

IPB Image

So, when I mounted it, it ended up looking like this:

IPB Image

I suppose I could have a new bung welded on, but that sounds awful. Would it be possible to get a shorter O2 sensor? Are these guys pretty universal?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.