Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car won't start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914nerd
I have sufficient fuel pressure, and I have spark
But the car doesn't start, except for occasionally
What is a likely culprit?
Cold Start Valve? Thermotime switch? hat are the specs on these so that I can test them.
Has anyone else had this problem or know of some reasonable solution to it?

Thanks,
Charles
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(914nerd @ Apr 18 2007, 10:33 PM) *

I have sufficient fuel pressure, and I have spark
But the car doesn't start, except for occasionally
What is a likely culprit?
Cold Start Valve? Thermotime switch? hat are the specs on these so that I can test them.
Has anyone else had this problem or know of some reasonable solution to it?

Thanks,
Charles

How have you verified you have fuel pressure? Does the fuel pump run when it is cranking? How do you know this?

I would start by making sure that it will actually run if it has fuel. Spray some carb spray in the plenum, then try to start it. If it starts and dies, you can rule out any ignition problems.

Next, see if the fuel pump actually runs. Disconnect the yellow wire from the starter, and turn the key to the start position. You should hear the fuel pump run. Then open the Air flow meter with the key on, and make sure the pump runs like that too. IF the pump won't run when you crank the motor, it will never start.

Then I would verify you have injector pulses. Get a noid light for bosch injection from your FLAPS and plug it in in place of one of the injectors. If it flashes, then you have injector pulse. Check all 4, because the L-Jet can break wires in the dropping resistor pack and leave you with dead cylinders.

Then I would make sure that there are absolutely no vacuum leaks. I would replace the oil cap seals, and check the tube between the throttle body and the Air flow meter for tears.

Try all that and let me know the results.

914nerd
I have verified that it will run with starting fluid
The pump does run and I have pressure (running a tad high, but manageable) as indicated on a pressure gauge that I spliced in to check that.
I haven't yet checked the injectors or vacuum, but those are next on the list.
Thanks
r_towle
Is this a new issue, or is this a car that has not been run a while?

Rich
914nerd
It's a new issue
I was replacing the ignition system and it has sat for about 2 weeks without being run
SLITS
Pull an injector out and crank the engine .... see if it's spitting fuel. If not, dead brain, wires broken in resistor pack, kinked fuel line, etc, etc.
Tobra
If you replaced the ignition system, check that
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(914nerd @ Apr 19 2007, 10:42 AM) *

It's a new issue
I was replacing the ignition system and it has sat for about 2 weeks without being run

did you hook the white wire from the FI back up to the negative side of the coil? L-Jet has to have an ignition pulse from the coil to trigger the injectors.
914nerd
Injection system is hoooked back up and getting the right pulses to it
The white wire is coming off the negative side of the coil and the ignition system definitely does work (runs on starter fluid, just not on gasoline)
malaga_red75
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 19 2007, 08:56 AM) *

Pull an injector out and crank the engine .... see if it's spitting fuel. If not, dead brain, wires broken in resistor pack, kinked fuel line, etc, etc.

agree.gif Check the resistor pack (usually attatched on the battery tray or around that area) it looks like four stacks of sweet tarts in a steel cage. mine has broken bout three times until i put epoxy around the connections biggrin.gif

-Peter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.