Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice on a possible purchase?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kafn8d
I'm going to look at a 1972 in the AM. The owner says it is a 1.8, but I thought those weren't produced until 1973? It is pretty rough w/ some rust around the lower window seals. The owner says the "hell hole" is pretty bad and will need to be replaced. He also has a 1974 parts car w/ a center console, almost perfect interior, has 1.8 engine and trans. He also says this parts car has a full set (5) of the rarest factory 914 wheels. I don't know what these are, do you all know? He is asking around $4200 for both. Is this a good deal and what should I look for in a new purchase. This would be my 1st Porsche. I have a good mechanical background w/ BMW's and street rods, just no experience w/ Porsche. By the way this forum is awesome and I don't even own a teener yet!

Thanks,
Steve
Dave_Darling
The 1.8s were introduced in the 74 model year. 70-72 were all 1.7s (or Sixes!), 73 was 1.7 or 2.0, and 74+ you could get a 1.8 or a 2.0.

Rust is a pain to fix. The "hell hole" is right about where a half-dozen rather important pieces of metal all join together, and you need to do the repair pretty well to make sure the car is still straight after you finish! Not a lot of fun to fix...

The "rarest factory four-bolt alloys" are most likely the ".01" version of the early Pedrini wheel. I don't know if those were available in 74 or not, they may be a 73-only thing. The seller probably means Mahle wheels, which are similar looking to Pedrinis. They came on the Limited Edition 914s, and were also available as an option.

--DD
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(kafn8d @ Apr 18 2007, 08:16 PM) *

I'm going to look at a 1972 in the AM. The owner says it is a 1.8, but I thought those weren't produced until 1973? It is pretty rough w/ some rust around the lower window seals. The owner says the "hell hole" is pretty bad and will need to be replaced. He also has a 1974 parts car w/ a center console, almost perfect interior, has 1.8 engine and trans. He also says this parts car has a full set (5) of the rarest factory 914 wheels. I don't know what these are, do you all know? He is asking around $4200 for both. Is this a good deal and what should I look for in a new purchase. This would be my 1st Porsche. I have a good mechanical background w/ BMW's and street rods, just no experience w/ Porsche. By the way this forum is awesome and I don't even own a teener yet!

Thanks,
Steve

Steve where in Indiana are you? This wouldn't by chance be a yellow one over in LaPorte? A 72 should be a 1.7 unless a past owner replaced it with a 1.8. These rare wheels could be Fuchs, which a lot (not all) 914 owners like.

Rust is a big killer for these little cars. Based on what you have said they both sound like parts cars. $4200 is WAY to much both cars. For that kind of money you can find a nice pretty clean 1.7 / 1.8 914, maybe even a 2.0.

Send me PM, if you are close to where I live and want someone to look at them with you, I have the afternoon off tomorrow. Even if I'm not close I will give ya my cell phone number incase yuo have questions while you are looking at them.
I am no expert and there are plenty of others here that know a lot more than me, but a 2nd pair of eyes doesn't hurt. - Garold
kafn8d
Thanks for the fast response!

Garold, I appreciate the offer, but I live in Jeffersonville and the cars that I plan on looking at are in Louisville, KY. I will probably take some pictures and post them for you all to advise.

Steve
r_towle
4200 buys a real car, a driver that you can drive home, from CA.

Think hard about getting a better car for that price.

Rich
markb
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 18 2007, 10:14 PM) *

4200 buys a real car, a driver that you can drive home, from CA.

Think hard about getting a better car for that price.

Rich

agree.gif
Pass on these & look for a real clean car.
So.Cal.914
agree.gif Pass, and welcome.png
Spoke
I have a rust-repaired 1.7L 71 that I paided too much for and a nearly rust free 2.0L 74 that I paided a fair price (less than the 71).

Compared to the 1.7, the 2.0 is a rocket and is very solid. Unless you plan to change the engine to something bigger, look for a 2.0L that has minimal rust.

A rusty car should basically be for free, as you will need to do a ton of rust repair (cutting, welding, straightening).

Look around, you should be able to find a nice not-to-rusty or even near-rust-free 2L somewhere. It may not be close to you but with all the eyes on this board, someone can look for you and give a good idea of car condition.

Spoke
tdgray
Run don't walk away from these two.

I restored a VERY rusty 73. The only reason... other than I am nuts... is that it only had 50K orginal miles... had all the orginal equipment and ... I only paid $300.00 for it.

Don't try this at home kiddies blink.gif

If you want to know how much work is involved in something like this look at the process in link in my sig.
SLITS
Trojanman (AKA Rubberboy) has a '74 for sale in Kali that can be driven from Kali to your home ... it's solid. I PPIed the car and blessed it with holy water.

He asking $4800 but if he keeps the NOS windshield seal, he'll probably sell it for $4200.

There are others out there too!
mudfoot76
Welcome to the club!

It is a bit of a drive for you, but if you have the time I suggest coming up to Putnam Park this weekend for the PCA DE. There is one instructor in a 914 from Kentucky who is listed right now. My teener is still offline so I'm taking the other car out.
dwillouby
I believe I have seen this car. I live about 20 miles from it. It is in very bad condition. Doors dont close well. Guy wanted way too much for it. If I recall the wheels are fuchs.

David
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 19 2007, 05:54 AM) *

Trojanman (AKA Rubberboy) has a '74 for sale in Kali that can be driven from Kali to your home ... it's solid. I PPIed the car and blessed it with holy water.

Thanks Ron. We're still trying to get rid of the smell laugh.gif
rwjames
QUOTE(mudfoot76 @ Apr 19 2007, 10:28 AM) *

Welcome to the club!

It is a bit of a drive for you, but if you have the time I suggest coming up to Putnam Park this weekend for the PCA DE. There is one instructor in a 914 from Kentucky who is listed right now. My teener is still offline so I'm taking the other car out.

Chuck won't make it to instruct at the DE this weekend at Putnam. He still has his 914 tranny apart and didn't want to rush to get it back together. Also, several Derby Festival events going on in Louisville.

There are several 914 guys in the Southern Indiana/Louisville area and they may know of some decent cars for sale. If you want the contact info for them, let me know.

This does sound too high for project cars, but it may not hurt to look at them if you haven't seen them. However, I would advise taking someone familiar with 914's. A lot of time, sellers don't know anything about 914's and if you point out the major flaws, it may open their eyes to the true value.
911quest
I think I have seen these cars I looked at them for the guy he wanted to restore one of them if they are the same ones you are better off looking for another car if you need help looking them over let me know Iam in louisville and can help
502-751-1126 Tony
Dave_Darling
If you can find your way over to East Peoria IL, one of the best 914 folks in the country is there--Brad Mayeur. He has a bunch of his own, and works on dozens more. He has been a fan of these cars and worked on them since they were new.

--DD
burton73
Steve,

Welcome. You are so lucky to have the web and this club. Listen to these guys. RUST is the killer of these cars. You will spend so much time and money to fix it you do want to pay more to get the right car even if you have to ship it to you. Having rust fixed costs that much.

I am in CA and we are lucky to have less rusty cars but that does not mean they are not with rust. Some do have rust. You have to have them CKed out. The people in this club can really help you. The 914 was one of the first car I started to fix when I was young. It was easy to work on and there is a lot of help on line and from club members. You are just a posting away with a question and in no time some one will have an answer to your question. Get the right car. Do not cheep out because it will cost you in the end and make sure you do not riped off by moveing to fast on the wrong car.

Bob welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.