Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil tank installation steps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bcheney
I have a OEM 914/6 Oil tank that I need to install into my conversion project. The car is a 75. Can anyone provide step by step instruction on how to install the tank? Just want to know the steps from someone who has completed this work so I can avoid mistakes. I have the 914/6 conversion guide from Auto Atlanta. However, it simply tells you to use the template they provide and install.
SLITS
Drill holes ..... slide tank in

make sure you angle the suction hose slightly towards the engine bay or it will hit the rocker panel. Oh yeah, put this hose on as you will not be able to get to it when the tank is installed.

Also on later models ('73 up), there is apparently a piece of metal (seam) near the door striker plate on the inside of the fender well that may need grinding flush as it will interfere with the tank fully sliding into the fender well. I dunno, I converted a '70.

Get a GOOD set of hole saws .... Harbor Freight's dulls the minute it touches metal. When you return them they tell you it is not for metal .... box dona say that.

If you've drilled all the holes in the right places, ain't no thang!
736conver
QUOTE(bcheney @ Apr 18 2007, 10:24 PM) *

I have a OEM 914/6 Oil tank that I need to install into my conversion project. The car is a 75. Can anyone provide step by step instruction on how to install the tank? Just want to know the steps from someone who has completed this work so I can avoid mistakes. I have the 914/6 conversion guide from Auto Atlanta. However, it simply tells you to use the template they provide and install.

All the places you need to drill out are already stamped into your car, it should make it even easier with the template you have. Its just a matter of getting the right sizes for the hole saws. The bottom hole saw for the oil filter is going to be pricey. Maybe someone here has it that you can borrow. I know mine is out on loan right now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.