Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: windshield targa top seal OEM VS aftermarket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
My B In-law (Hi Steve) purchased the blue 72 in Indy that had/has some engineering mods done to it. The big one was the fold up targa top (see picture). The past owners father (the orginal owner) made the top and when the son was given the car he never put the OEM top on the car in 10+ yrs he had it. It could have been longer than that. The day we brought it home it was raining and we put the original top on. It was a very snug fit in the windshield targa seal.

Fast forward to this last week. Finally weather nice enough to take the car out with the top off. When removing the top the seal sticks to the top and pulls away from the windshield frame. I know the AA repo seals from the past didn't have the metal in it like the OEM seal does. If this is a repo seal could this be the reason why it pulls away from the windshield frame when removing the top? Its a good seal and we don't want to rip it any ideas on how to keep the seal from pulling away? can you tell if it is a repo seal once installed?

The custom top. Looks funky,but actually is a cool design.

Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Apr 18 2007, 09:21 PM) *

My B In-law (Hi Steve) purchased the blue 72 in Indy that had/has some engineering mods done to it. The big one was the fold up targa top (see picture). The past owners father (the orginal owner) made the top and when the son was given the car he never put the OEM top on the car in 10+ yrs he had it. It could have been longer than that. The day we brought it home it was raining and we put the original top on. It was a very snug fit in the windshield targa seal.

Fast forward to this last week. Finally weather nice enough to take the car out with the top off. When removing the top the seal sticks to the top and pulls away from the windshield frame. I know the AA repo seals from the past didn't have the metal in it like the OEM seal does. If this is a repo seal could this be the reason why it pulls away from the windshield frame when removing the top? Its a good seal and we don't want to rip it any ideas on how to keep the seal from pulling away? can you tell if it is a repo seal once installed?

The custom top. Looks funky,but actually is a cool design.

I don't know if my seal is a repro or OEM. It had a nasty habit of pulling away. I delayed gluing it in place. Now it has a tear in the middle. OEM or not, glue it in.
SLITS
I doubt there were ever any repro seals made due to it's complexity.

My '70 does the same thing .... sometimes rubber is just sticky ... I thought of "lubing" it with silicone or ? so it would release.
lotus_65
hey, how about some more pics of that top? pretty cool.
rhodyguy
skip the silicone. again, glycerin provides lubrication and helps to keep the seal supple.

k
SLITS
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 19 2007, 08:49 AM) *

skip the silicone. again, glycerin provides lubrication and helps to keep the seal supple.

k

Sorry, that's what I had in mind but couldn't spell it.
spunone
Ok so where do ya get that Glys... glicr.... never mind that stuff at?? chair.gif
Gary
Glycerin also works great when installing seals - keeps things slickery. Drug stores carry it. I think I got a bottle at Walgreens.
Twystd1
If ya DRINK IT... yA SEE pRETTY cOLORS FoR ABOuT 3 HOUrS...

Guess what I did for a living in the sixties..........??????

Twystd1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.