Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cost of carbs versus fi
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
what is required to install megasquirt/sds into a 914 besides the megasquirt/sds $400/$895 units ??

thanks

jim
yarin
Megasquirt is a custom install, so you are essentially building the thing from scratch unless you buy a pre-built kit. I would built it yourself so you gain an understanding of how the whole things works, it helps when you troubleshoot.

My MS build utilized the following:

MS II V3.0
MS Relay Board
37pin cable
Innovative LC-1 Wideband O2
Junkyard throttle position sensor, custom adapter

I used factory 2.0L injection parts.

Pics are in my profile.

MS is NOT plug 'n play, there will be some amount of headache. You also have to tune it yourself, but you can start with base maps from people on here.

Once it's all done it's a huge pat on the back. I consider it a major do it yourself accomplishment.

I bought all my parts from DIYautotune.com. Really great service.
yarin
I found a spreadsheet I had laid out detailing the costs along with a few other MS related info.
jimkelly
very cool - thanks

Gint
Personally, I'm more interested in what it takes (additional parts and cost) to get a SDS system installed and running. Maybe we'll get some more comments from SDS users.
jimkelly
gint

see this

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=53733&hl=
jr91472
QUOTE(yarin @ Apr 19 2007, 01:02 PM) *

I found a spreadsheet I had laid out detailing the costs along with a few other MS related info.

So about a grand for mega-squirt. That is probably about what I paid to install a used pair of Dells on my car (not counting the cam). I paid $450 for the carbs, but lots of other bits and pieces along way (rebuild kits, linkage, manifolds, swap out of vents and jets, etc, etc).
yarin
QUOTE(jr91472 @ Apr 20 2007, 09:55 AM) *

QUOTE(yarin @ Apr 19 2007, 01:02 PM) *

So about a grand for mega-squirt. That is probably about what I paid to install a used pair of Dells on my car (not counting the cam). I paid $450 for the carbs, but lots of other bits and pieces along way (rebuild kits, linkage, manifolds, swap out of vents and jets, etc, etc).

Remember the $1k includes $200 for a wideband O2 which is not required for MS. Same expense for carbs. It also includes the pertronix dizzy pickup.

$1k is to convert from carbs to MS injection on stock parts. Done the right way with no expenses spared. it can be done for significantly less.

But then again comparing carbs to MS is apples to oranges.
Gint
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Apr 20 2007, 06:48 AM) *

Yeah, I've seen David's install thread. But he's about the only person I know of that have (besides Mark Henry of course) said they have installed a SDS system. My hope was that this thread might flush out one or two others that have done it.
toon1
I just finished a MS install(well your never really finished) for about, $700

There are options to keep it a little on the cheaper side.

My setup, MSIV3.0, MS relay board, RS auto sport wire harness, Used LC-1 with gauge.

An MS system is very doable for about $550ish w/an 02 sensor.

Keith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.