Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie Question On Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914ev
I'm starting out on a project to convert a 914 roller into an all electric vehicle.

That being said, one of the points to increase an EV's range is to decrease the weight and rolling resistance of the tires/rims.

I've asked around locally and on a few of the usual web sites (like tirerack.com) but most of them tell me 'nothing is available in that size (4 on 130mm).

Ideally I'd like to get a set of lightweight aluminum wheels in the 15 x 5 size - preferably under 15lbs. I've seen a few listed (like the 15 x 6 panasports) but would like to go a bit narrower if possible.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good source for a set of aluminum rims such as these?
r_towle
there are quite a few wheels that will fit the 914.
Look at the VW world in the magazines.

the backspacing is different, but it works.

If one of your goals is to increase the range, look at the Insight.
Very very thin wheels,less rubber on the ground, and aerodynamic hubcaps.

I had another thought, heavy wheels might be good if you are highway cruising. It would provide more rotational momentum.
A larger flywheel also would help there.
If you are around town, stop and go...light wheels are the way to go.
In the VW rags there are wuite a few smooth aluminum wheels (racing wheels) that may be just right for you.
Either way, think thin when you are hunting for wheels.
I would vote that you look for 4 inch beetle wheels.

Rich
Chris Pincetich
914 EV - me too eventually! I'm hooked on #1 as an AX toy, so EV will be #2 beerchug.gif

The 2.0 style Fuchs are 15x5.5 and under 15lbs....they are OEM and look cool too.
Best to inspect these 30 y.o wheels yourself for cracks or buy from a trusted source. There are some NICE ones at CAMP914 for sale in the Classifieds.

Keep us updated on the EV beerchug.gif
byndbad914
dunno what your budget is like but I am looking at Kodiak wheels right now but they would be about $2K for the set for you. That said, they quoted my 16x10s and 16x11s at 12-14lbs, so imagine how light a 15x5 would be! The rim halves don't weigh that much of course, but I would guess a 15x5 in the 11lb range, but that is merely a WAG. Still, they're light and strong.
So.Cal.914
Just a thought, Sand rails use a split rim, very light weight but strong. And

available in 4X130.
bryanf
I have some aluminum fake "centerline" (no vents) type wheels on my parts car that are probably pretty light...I think they are 15.5" wide. I'd be happy to sell 'em cheap if you're interested. (they even have decent michelin tires on them)...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.