Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Acid dipping fuel tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
I am picking up a gas tank tomorrow that will have been acid dipped to remove mild surface rust on the inside of the tank. Should I treat the inside with something afterwards to keep it from rusting? Or should I just install the thing, fill it up with petrol and expect that it will last another 30 years? (I personally am leaning toward the latter, as I don't want to spend any more $.)

r_towle
I did the Eastwood thing..actually the radiator shop did it for me.

But, I have heard that some of the epoxies are not very good, and can come loose...

I would vote to paint the outside, and drop it in and drive.
It the winter, for storage...fill it up to the very top...all the way up so there is as little air as possible for the storage period and you will have a lower chance of getting moisture in there..

Rich
spunone
Radiator shop sand blasted the inside of mine and then coated had to cut a small hole in top and reweld werent to happy but it looks good on the inside welder.gif
So.Cal.914
I have not used it but I read here about a product from the company that makes

Por-15, it's designed for use on the inside of fuel tanks.
Gint
I would absolutely NOT coat the inside of a fuel tank. I have had tanks boiled at a rad shop and then just paint the outside and go. With regular use the tank will not rust on the inside. I'd rather do that then have an epoxy coating flaking off and getting into my fuel system.
rjames
I think I'll probably take the advice of those who said not to coat it. Cheaper, and I also would hate to have any of the coating get into the fuel system in any way down the road.

Plus that coating stuff isn't cheap, and even more expensive if a shop does it for you. Could probably buy a nice used tank for that price....

Thanks all! beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.