Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does a /6 use the same clutch and pressure plate?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sww914
I just found a killer deal on a 2.2s 6cyl, all apart, needs one piston but all of the rest of the parts are good. My PP and clutch are nearly new on my 4cyl, Can I re-use them or must I buy new stuff?
Cap'n Krusty
Yes, they can be used, especially if you went the cheaper route and bought the 6 disc in the first place. Regarding the 2.2S: S pistons are increasingly difficult to find. Generally you get the piston with its cylinder, and there are several "height groups" to deal with, as well as piston weight groups. Be sure you get matching parts! The Cap'n
Justinp71
I have a 215mm 6-spring that I am putting in, I had a stock 4-spring in with no problems on my 2.7L.

I recently pulled the clutch out b/c the clutch fork was getting close to hitting the trans, so watch for that.
michel richard
You can reuse the /4 PP and clutch disk, but you will need to change the flywheel . You need the early flywheel from the 2.0 /6 engine, that flywheel will bolt right onto your crankshaft, no problem.
Alternatively, you can keep the 2.2 /6 flywheel and convert to a pull type clutch, which is slightly bigger, 225 mm vs 215 mm, IIRC.
The latter solution is slightly more involved: in addition to a new PP, throwout bearing and clutch disk, you need to modify the transmission housing and use a shorter clutch cable. There's a couple of threads on this.

bcheney
QUOTE(michel richard @ Apr 20 2007, 06:49 AM) *

You can reuse the /4 PP and clutch disk, but you will need to change the flywheel . You need the early flywheel from the 2.0 /6 engine, that flywheel will bolt right onto your crankshaft, no problem.
Alternatively, you can keep the 2.2 /6 flywheel and convert to a pull type clutch, which is slightly bigger, 225 mm vs 215 mm, IIRC.
The latter solution is slightly more involved: in addition to a new PP, throwout bearing and clutch disk, you need to modify the transmission housing and use a shorter clutch cable. There's a couple of threads on this.

How can you ID a 2.0 / 6 flywheel? I am converting to a six with an original 914/6 case, 2.2 P&C and 2.2 heads. I got two flywheels with a bunch of parts a guys sold me for the conversion. Just want to be sure what I have will work.
michel richard
How can you ID a 2.0 / 6 flywheel?

Very easy. The early 2.0 /6 flywheel looks very similar to the regular 914 /4 flywheel, except the bolt pattern is slightly different, as well as perhaps a few details on the backside. It is definitely a "cupped" shape, like the /4 part, with the area where the PP bolts above the friction surface. The gear that the starter engages is an integral part of this flywheel.
On the othe hand, the 2.2 flywheel for the pull type clutch is nearly flat with only a small lip at the circumference, and no gear teeth.
Michel
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.