Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting Lower in the Seat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TC Johnson
Greetings, World!

Now that I have my '76 running much better (thanks bleyseng), am spending much more time driving, rather than fussing with the FI. I am not particularly tall at 5'10", but would like to get a bit lower in the car. My interior is totally stock and the seats unmodified.

Is there a method for lowering the seat mechanism while retaining the stock adjustments ? I have not taken things apart to see how the mounts are fitted, but this group may have a simple solution. I would prefer not to remove the seat cushion and sit on the 'glass shell with a thin pad, but have considered that option.

Thanks for any suggestions.

TC Johnson
r_towle
I can think of a couple of options.
First, and easiest (provided its not rusted) is move the seat forward so it is no longer in the back pad.
there is a funky looking lever on the left side of the seat.
Pull that up, an inch or two..maybe a bit more.
The seat will now recline a bit, and may give you just what you need.
Then push it back, it wont go back as far, but pretty close.
I am 6'2" and that works for me.

the second is go to a swap meet and find a seat pad of the same color as yours.
I did this, and it works awesome.
If you flip the seat pad upside down, you will see that the vinyl is simply stapled to the bottom cardboard backer.
Remove the staples and vinyl without ripping the sewn parts.

Now, you can use several tools, or a combination of them to cut the seat foam down to one inch thick, even with the bottom cardboard.

So now you have a one inch thick piece of foam bonded to the cardboard.
What I did, you can do whatever, it go to the local camping supply store, or a good fabric/upolstery supply place and look for the high density memory type foam
At the camping store its a mat that you sleep on.
Get that, cut and glue it to the top of your one inch thick piece.
Put the vinyl back on, but now stretch it so its square (so you dont look like an amature) and staple it back down...all set.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.