Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinions on a Monza exhaust system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jonferns
Thinking about getting a Monza exhaust for our '74 1.8. Does anyone here run that setup? What do you think about it?
brp914
the dual exit one I tried was way too loud. I cringed at the thought of having to accelerate. After a few weeks I took it off. Also, interfered with valance.
So.Cal.914
I have an Anza which is simular, I like it, good performance and a different tone.

On the loud side but in such a small car it's nice to be heard. Besides I can drive

thru a parking garage and set off the car alarms.
shaggy
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Apr 20 2007, 11:27 PM) *

I have an Anza which is simular, I like it, good performance and a different tone.

On the loud side but in such a small car it's nice to be heard. Besides I can drive

thru a parking garage and set off the car alarms.

HAHAHAHA!

i used to do that with my 1.7 except i could do it on the street if i throtteled it.

monza/ansa is good.

heavy as all hell. about 9 lbs more than stock.

tips are cool if you keep them clean and chromed.

the tone is really really bassy.
it picks up well as you hit power ban but its still a very low note.

i dont know about cost, i got mine for $10 from greg robbins.

what i was told about the preformance issue is:
"youll think youre going faster/are more powerful because it is a different sound that it used to be"
which i think is generally true, but at 79bhp im sure youll take everything you can get, i know i did.

if i had money to spend id get a bursch or a triad.

i liked my monza/ansa though.

hope i have helped in some way.
-jim
burton73
JON,

There in nothing worse than a car that is making way too much noise for its boots. The sound will bug you after a few weeks and you will wish it was not so loud. Not only that but it makes your car a cop magnet and you will find that you will be doing everything thing you can do to drive it so it will not be so loud.

It is one of those things that is fun for a day or two. In the end you will change back and be sorry you did it.

Bob
mrhurtalot
had my car for almost a year. still like the LOUD NESS OF IT

smile.gif go for the monza if you like when pretty ladies stare.
rhodyguy
what ever you deside on, get the appropriate exhaust for your HEAT EXCHANGERS. determine what you have, THEN buy your exhaust.

k
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 21 2007, 02:53 AM) *

JON,

There in nothing worse than a car that is making way too much noise for its boots. The sound will bug you after a few weeks and you will wish it was not so loud. Not only that but it makes your car a cop magnet and you will find that you will be doing everything thing you can do to drive it so it will not be so loud.

It is one of those things that is fun for a day or two. In the end you will change back and be sorry you did it.

Bob

I have had that exhaust over 20 years, no noise tickets and I have never had an

issue with the sound myself. I believe it is a matter of taste, some like loud pipes

on Harleys and some like honda's.
rjames
Had mine for 2 years. Was a little worried that it was too loud at first, but have grown to like it. I also was able to get mine to fit under the stock valence, but just barely. People say they rust quickly, but my car doesn't see rain. I got a great deal from another non-memeber here so I couldn't pass it up. No complaints thus far.
JPB
Heavy as hell. Less is more! beer.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Noisy. Heavy. They rust out at an AMAZING rate. The welds break, the tips rot off, and they're heavy. Did I mention they're heavy? Put a excessive load on your muffler hanger and the transmission to which it's bolted. The Cap'n
Spoke
I have one in the attic. Installed only for a while on the red 1.7L while I repaired the body. Louder than the stock muffler but was ok since it drowned out the lifter tapping. Took it off to put the valence back on. If you want it, it's yours for what I paid for it ($20). I'm about 80 miles from you. I live just west of Allentown on Rt78.

Spoke
So.Cal.914

Took it off to put the valence back on.

What valence do you have? Mine fits under my stock valence (short).

I have heard the rust claims about these mufflers but I have not seen it and mine

has been on my car along time. Bought it new in 1983 and I have had no

problems. Maybe it's a road salt thing.
jonferns
Mixed feelings about this exhaust, can anyone provide a sound clip?
jonferns
how bout some pics?
SirAndy
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Apr 21 2007, 07:03 PM) *

how bout some pics...

knockoff called "Manta". same design, a bit lighter and nice sound. has worked very well for me, no rust trouble either ...

bye1.gif Andy

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
So.Cal.914
Mine is basicly the same as Andy's but the tips are angled up a bit.
orange914
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Apr 21 2007, 04:25 PM) *

Took it off to put the valence back on.

What valence do you have? Mine fits under my stock valence (short).

I have heard the rust claims about these mufflers but I have not seen it and mine

has been on my car along time. Bought it new in 1987 and I have had no

problems. Maybe it's a road salt thing.

i like mine, fits under stock sheild even though new is being welded up to cover unused cut out. sounds good if you like a louder sound thumb3d.gif
Click to view attachment
Spoke
I guess the valence would fit with the exhaust. I never tried both together. I had the Monza on only during the repair of the car and it just looked like there was not much room between the exhaust tips and the bumper.

The 4 tip outputs do look nice and with these dinky 1.7/1.8 engines, they need all the look they can get and some extra rumble. This way neighbors like mine wouldn't be commenting that my car sounds like a washing machine. Love the Bursch on my 2L 74. Thump this you bastard.

Spoke
Brando
Just get a Bursch...

Better sound and it might actually net a slight gain in engine hp as opposed to a loss.
type47fan
My V8 conversion: exhaust through a Camaro muffler, modified early steel valance, and Pacesetter baffled dual tips.

Varoom!
burton73
Wayne,

That is a super nice clean job. It must sound like a mother. I just got back from Asia and there was a 69 or so Vet with big side pipes moving very slow next to me in traffic as I walked. The sound and rumble was something. In your car the sound is not too big for your boots. That is the sound of some real power. I had a V-8 conversation for a time. I was more impressed with the Varoom that the car. Well done

Bob
Fabertooth
The exhaust on mine. The PO had it in storage for 7 years before I got it. It's rusty as hell and it sounds like a tractor. But there arn't any holes and it's going back on after some paint. piratenanner.gif

IPB Image
mills914/s
I think I might put mine on. David at D k porsche vw . Said not to put it on that he doesen't like them. But I dont know he likes stock 914's. I had one on my 75 car and liked it. On the freeway with the top off the bass kinda drones in your ears. But its a cool sound. My bursch is messed up where the pipe comes out has rusted out and is open. So im going to switch headers and pipes and put the thing on. I just need to find the spade ehaust gaskets for it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.