Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: first video of my v8 running
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
many many thanks to root - for all his help - to put it mildly : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VvJJ5tqeDc

or search - porsche 914 v8

better videos to follow
drive-ability
Jim,
Nice to see your car running, I guess you can feel the power now. Sounds like it running nicely. What are you impressions with the feel of the V8, the good and not so good?
jimkelly
i have only taken it for a couple of short trips but it can be driven like a mild car - no problem - push the peddle down all thr way and that changes. i need more time to really develop any real impressions though. so far i am happy : ) though my guess is second gear starts would not make driving in congestion much fun at all : )
drive-ability
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Apr 20 2007, 08:34 PM) *

i have only taken it for a couple of short trips but it can be driven like a mild car - no problem - push the peddle down all thr way and that changes. i need more time to really develop any real impressions though. so far i am happy : ) though my guess is second gear starts would not make driving in congestion much fun at all : )

I was stuck in traffic bumper the bumper for over an hour once and its something you have to get a feel for. I would guess my first gear is a bit lower than your second but I often take off in second to lower the wear and tear on the transmission. I don't care about the clutch, its replaceable and relatively cheep. The hardest thing to accomplish is civilizing the beast, get it to drive more like a normal car. I have been working on that for over a year. I have soft springs in the back (165lb), larger sidewalls, shocks set on soft and a quiet muffler. I just added a second back glass to deaden the engine noise directed at my right ear laugh.gif. I have and am adding more insulation to the cab and firewall, and under that is polly sound deadener. Tons of undercoating etc. I may soon coat the inner fender wells inside and out with more polly sound deadener, as well as the hoods and trunk area. That stuff sucks up vibration well. I guess it will never drive like a Mercedes confused24.gif
jimkelly
i have dual exhaust with glass packs - and it is very loud - and at abput 2000 rpm i get the awful resonance noise/vibration but luckily i won't ever be in this rpm range for very long : )

skline uses a camaro dual in dual out muffler which may be the best solution to noise versus tons of sound and vibration prooofing - i though will probably just live with the noise as it is - maybe put some rubber between the solid mounted engine bar and frame and between solid mounted trans mount and frame ??

fun to drive value over rides all else : )

jim
drive-ability
I had some large cradle mounts, Cadillac size between my body and engine support and it didn't make any difference. I think most of the vibration is transfered through the transmission mounts which on mine are rubber 911 units.
My mufflers are used Ferrari 575 units, they are real quiet but have control valves on each. I can open up the valves with a switch and the system opens up the inside exhaust tip on both mufflers. The effect is a real deep roar. I love them and was lucky to find them for under 200 bucks. I like the car but would like to have a nice 928 as well. I may trade it in for one some day.. blink.gif
type47
beerchug.gif piratenanner.gif clap56.gif
jimkelly
well - i guess rubber bushings would be fruitless - oh well : )

guess i will just tough out the sound and make sure my passengers have an ipod and a nice set of headphones.

jim
drive-ability
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Apr 21 2007, 11:54 AM) *

well - i guess rubber bushings would be fruitless - oh well : )

guess i will just tough out the sound and make sure my passengers have an ipod and a nice set of headphones.

jim

Jim,
The noise is the reason I don't run with the top on. When its on your car becomes a torture chamber for most. The targa skins acoustics need addressing , I haven tried that as yet. John
jimkelly
top off - good tip - maybe roll bar is in order.
drive-ability
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Apr 21 2007, 01:13 PM) *

top off - good tip - maybe roll bar is in order.

Try it, If you think the top will protect you It's my impression it won't do much. The factory roll bar is real strong and seems to hold up well. Now the windshield frame is not much at all. With the top off the tinny sound is gone.
scotty b
bye1.gif smile.gif thumb3d.gif aktion035.gif
Gint
Grats!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.