Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Draining fuel system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
I'm about to drain somewhere around 5 gallons of 4 year old gas from my 914.

I've heard it said that it's best to drain from the supply end of the fuel pump. But, it makes more logical sense to me to drain it from the tank, allowing all engine fuel to drain back towards the front & away from the injectors (I know, the fuel filter will be toast - big deal).

Haven't had to do this in 35 years of 914 ownership, so asking for the points of view of all who car to share knowledge/experience.
Pat
Elliot Cannon
I changed out ALL the fuel lines anyway, so drained it from the tank.
Elliot
Spoke
I just emptied my tank with no spillage. First I jacked up the driver side and siphoned out as much gas as I could. I tie wrapped the plastic tube to a metal rod to make sure the tube went all the way to the bottom of the tank.

Once I retrieved as much fuel as possible, I jacked up the passenger side of the car to get the remaining gas to the far end of the tank and removed the tank.

Spoke
bperry
Mines a 74. With a pump/filter in stock position. I just removed the
hose from the filter and let drain out. Wasn't a problem.

Plan on replacing the screen inside the tank on the supply side.
It is probably toast by now if you haven't replaced it before.

--- bill
burton73
Pat,

What is the plan for you fuel lines. You are not going to keep those original as well are you?

I had to make a Purest joke some where. Really you should change out the lines as you do not want that kind of trouble and now would be the perfect time.

You need to get all the gas out out so it does not matter. When I pulled out my tank I found that my screen was funky after I had pre bought a new one anyway. My car sat for 16 years.

Bob
swl
I think Bill's pull off the filter is probably the best point for draining with the standard filter location - easy to get at and you are going to want to change the filter any way.

Not sure if 4 years is enough time to develop sediment in the system. My experience was 20 years and it was a mess by then. Even at 4 years you might want to be a little cautious when you get ready to fire it up. Maybe a secondary in line filter right before fuel rail to protect the injectors (you can take it out later). I'd run the fuel pump for a while after you have everything buttoned up just to get riid of anything in the engine bay lines. I would also think about some fuel injector cleaner in the gas during the flush. I don't know the chemistry of that stuff but it seems to make sense.
iamchappy
Ok I would like to add to this thread, once the old gas is out what do you do with the foul smelling stuff. Can I use it in my lawn mower?
I have six gallons of the 25 year vintage stuff that came out of my last parts car.
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Apr 21 2007, 05:32 AM) *

Ok I would like to add to this thread, once the old gas is out what do you do with the foul smelling stuff. Can I use it in my lawn mower?
I have six gallons of the 25 year vintage stuff that came out of my last parts car.

Hey Chap,
I had this problem years ago also, put a 1/2 gallon or so in your daily driver each time you fill up and it will be gone in no time.

Paul
Tobra
I would take mine to a toxic dump, but I guess diluting it a nd burning it would work too. Under the tank is where I drained mine the first time, back near engine compartment the second time.
burton73
Most city's have a household chemical turn in day at some collection point. I did this with a 41 Dodge I was restoring. You need to give them a gas jug and not get it back but the gas will be disposed of in the proper way. My old 16 year old gas was put in with the recycle oil at the restoration shop.

Bob
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Tobra @ Apr 21 2007, 08:56 AM) *

I would take mine to a toxic dump, but I guess diluting it a nd burning it would work too. Under the tank is where I drained mine the first time, back near engine compartment the second time.

Technically speaking, in California it's illegal for you to "take it to a toxic dump". You don't have a hazardous waste hauler's permit. Pretty silly, huh? You are liable for a $10K or so fine. In a similar vein, a city trash truck transporting a used oil filter is also in violation, as is the guy who threw it in the trash. I don't think they would stop you, and they sure want you to take the used oil and filter to a recycling center, so why don't you add some of the gas to your container of used oil and drop it off at the mass marketer near you that takes used oil and filters? Repeat as necessary, and DON'T tell them there's gas in the oil! The Cap'n
r_towle
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 20 2007, 11:11 PM) *

I'm about to drain somewhere around 5 gallons of 4 year old gas from my 914.

I've heard it said that it's best to drain from the supply end of the fuel pump. But, it makes more logical sense to me to drain it from the tank, allowing all engine fuel to drain back towards the front & away from the injectors (I know, the fuel filter will be toast - big deal).

Haven't had to do this in 35 years of 914 ownership, so asking for the points of view of all who car to share knowledge/experience.
Pat

I would disconnect it where the hose attaches to the fuel rail, and run a longer hose into a gas can.

Then run the fuel pump till the tank is close to empty, but not close enough to suck all the sludge through the pump..

the new lines all around.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.