Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the story on the Factory Windshield Seal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burton73
As these are items that a lot of cars need what is the true story. I want a new one for my restoration and I do not want to get caught in the bull shit like the targa seals.

Who is in the know?

Bob
SLITS
Vellll, vee musz conzult die krystal ball.

Ver ist die krystal ball?

Ach, der Frogs hasz gestollen es.

Obviously, I don't know and I don't think Porsche does either.
SLITS
PS .... I used the one out of a 911 ..... little wider than the 914 so it doesn't fit around the vents correctly (that's what Xacto knifes are for), but then I'm not a CW.
burton73
Paul,

I take it if you are painting and changing your cars color you are going to need this to be changed as well as the metal trim needs to be re-placed at the same time. This is on a 1970.

Using the Xacto with fresh blades, is the result good? Last what is a CW? LOL

Fender cowl bead? Use cut 911?

Thanks.

Bob

Toast
Ron here ....

Fender cowl rubbers are available

I thought you were talking about the seal that goes between the windshield and dash which is supposedly NLA. Not really a seal, just trim to cover the gap. Changing colors would not require renewal of the seal if you just pull the brite trim from around the windshield and paint the car.

The look is just ok ... hey I used a used one 'cause it was laying there when I put the windshield in. A new one might look better.

CW = Concours Weenie = Ferg = stirthepot.gif

Oh well, back to my 4/20 celebration smoke.gif :insertUpinSmokerolledjointhere:

And those ain't my boobs in the avatar ... mine are bigger
StratPlayer
Inquiring minds want to know, who's boobs are they?
burton73
Hate to be lame( but I cannot help myself) , but if you pull the bright and pull the windshield and want to renew the rubber can you get that windshield seal that holds the glass in and the bright trim in. Hate to be a CW but in some areas it is needed. Can the rubber be had?

Thanks,

Bob
Allan
QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 21 2007, 05:18 PM) *

Hate to be lame( but I cannot help myself) , but if you pull the bright and pull the windshield and want to renew the rubber can you get that windshield seal that holds the glass in and the bright trim in. Hate to be a CW but in some areas it is needed. Can the rubber be had?

Thanks,

Bob

The glass is just held in with butyl tape ('70's ya know). The clips for the chrome trim are available fron any of the common suppliers.
burton73
Allan,

Are you saying that there is no window channel rubber like on a 911 holding in the windshield?
So how do you remove the front windshield? No rope no trick tools? I look at the search area.

Thanks,

Bob
burton73
I found it in the search area I think under: Windshield is in. Rubber seal and black border

Thanks,

Bob
BigD9146gt
Bob, it really depends on who was allowed to "fix" these cars over the past 30yrs. I've talked with several professional auto glass guys who argued with me over and over about how these windshields should be neoprene/rubber glued in... The factory used the butyl tape because it was cheap, sealed well, but most importantly stretched enough to keep the windshield from cracking due to chassis flex. Since these are targa tops, the windshield frame isn't structural like a coupe, so the windshield doesn't add any strength.

Cheers, Don
SLITS
A couple of things ...

It takes a tool, bought or handmade, to cut the buytl rubber seal to get the windshield out. Many crack it trying to work the wire thru a corner so they can saw thru the buytl.

Buytl rubber comes in tubes and tape form. I use 3/16" butyl tape and stretch it while installing it on the windshield frame.

If you ditch the britework and go to the rubber trim that is commonly sold ... it does not stick the window in the frame. You still have to use the buytl rubber to seal the windshield. I did the rubber trim thing.

Ok ...
Gary
I need to redo mine (frustrating) because the shop that did resto/paint for me didn't replace the clips for the trim. Also didn't replace the original dash-windshield seal. If you're doing this job, when you pull the windshield, get a new dash-windshield seal. I don't think it can be replaced with the windshield in, certainly not easily. Replace the trim clip holders, THEN put in the new butyl seal, windshield, and trim.
BigD9146gt
In the past, I grab two needle nose pliers and some thin wire (like bailing wire, piano or guitar wire works best) and poke one end through the butyl tape in either of the lower corners of the windshield. Then grab/wrap the wire with the pliers and carefully drag/cut up, across the top, and down the other side. Then push the top of the windshield out and this will break the bottom seal by leverage.

I've had lots of success with this, just be weary of applying too much pressure on the edge of the glass, imperfections on the glass's edge will snag the wire and cause cracks.

Cheers, Don.
burton73
In West L.A. there has to be some good glass people that can come out and do this job right. This is one of the ones I do not want to dick with. Dons idea sounds easy. If I screw it up what the hell. it is only money. I need to see if the glass is premo anyway.

Thanks,

Bob
watsonrx13
QUOTE(BigD9146gt @ Apr 22 2007, 03:25 AM) *

In the past, I grab two needle nose pliers and some thin wire (like bailing wire, piano or guitar wire works best) and poke one end through the butyl tape in either of the lower corners of the windshield. Then grab/wrap the wire with the pliers and carefully drag/cut up, across the top, and down the other side. Then push the top of the windshield out and this will break the bottom seal by leverage.

I've had lots of success with this, just be weary of applying too much pressure on the edge of the glass, imperfections on the glass's edge will snag the wire and cause cracks.

Cheers, Don.

Don, I've tried to remove 2 windshields using the wire method, but everytime I've cracked them. It appers that the cracks are around/under/near the clips, am I suppose to remove the clips first? If so, how do I do it?

Also, when reinstalling the windshield, do the clips go in first, then the butyl tape, then the glass?

-- Rob
dr914@autoatlanta.com
BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!! (and an apology)

I have finally gotten to the bottom of the windshield top seal controversy and have a PORSCHE factory guarantee of 100 plus top seals on the way. Everyone who has ordered one for the special price will get one, but in two or three weeks.
I have gone through h.ll after placing our confirmed order and being invoiced from Porsche for something that did not exist. What the problem was is that there was a miscount in the inventory that resulted in a non existent inventory and the resultant delay in resupplying and reinventorying them.
Behind the scenes I called my contact deep in the Porsche parts organization (my brother Peter's best friend) and he sheepishly admitted that there had been a miscount and that actually they had not sold that many of them in the last two months since a small number of them had arrived in the U.S.
Well feeling like a fool to believe the word of Porsche and really not believing it until I verified five times, getting my shipping confirmation and my bill (previously posted) I had our buyer Bruce make a bunch of calls, and I too called people we knew in the organization. I immediately rounded up five of the seals, (all new stock) had my friend Michael Mittle in Germany send me 30 more and FINALLY had my brothers friend expedite the shipment from Germany for 100 more immediately and 100 additional in two to three weeks.
I am very very sorry that this has happened. We have always been able to depend on Porsche for instantaneous delivery as we are one of their drop ship customers and are only about ten miles from the warehouse, and six from Headquarters.
Please again my sincere apologies to the club. EVERYONE who ordered one will get one at the price, and I will post some pics of the seals and the confirmations as they arrive.
If ANYONE feels like personally abusing me for this, please feel free to call me personally and vent: 800 792 4944 ext 16 business 404 308 5652 cell 770 971 4960 home.
jasons
Does this mean there are more available for pre-purchase than previously planned?
TROJANMAN
:
dr914@autoatlanta.com
When I am able to put my finger in the hole and my hand in the side of the first 130 of these seals that we have immediately coming, it is then and only then that THIS Thomas will feel confident to make an additional offer to the club.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 24 2007, 10:01 AM) *

When I am able to put my finger in the hole and my hand in the side of the first 130 of these seals that we have immediately coming, it is then and only then that THIS Thomas will feel confident to make an additional offer to the club.

George does this mean the first 130 are sold? I'm in no hurry but want to take advantage while their available.
chris914
Where is the thread to get on the list??

dr914@autoatlanta.com
we will have plenty available very very soon!
SLITS
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 25 2007, 02:48 PM) *

"Check's in the mail"

"Sure, I'll respect you in the morining"

Ok, I'm done with my sour grapes.
spunone
Next thing ya know they'll be for sale at the G&R swapmeet poke.gif av-943.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(spunone @ Apr 25 2007, 03:18 PM) *

Next thing ya know they'll be for sale at the G&R swapmeet poke.gif av-943.gif

Hmmmmmm ...... does vaporrubber sell well?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 25 2007, 03:14 PM) *

"Check's in the mail"

"Just you wait Henry Higgins, just you wait!"
SLITS
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 25 2007, 04:37 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 25 2007, 03:14 PM) *

"Check's in the mail"

"Just you wait Henry Higgins, just you wait!"

I have been waiting ... One year, 3 months, 26 days, 8 hours, 45 minutes. flag.gif
spunone
Yeah but who's counting poke.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
IPB Image

KING OF THE WINDSHIELD TOP SEALS!

I REALLY DO NOT LOOK THIS BAD. IT WAS MY BIRTHDAY LAST NIGHT!!!!!
Bogaat
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 26 2007, 01:20 PM) *

Nice piratenanner.gif . $275?
Allan
QUOTE(Bogaat @ Apr 26 2007, 09:22 AM) *

Nice piratenanner.gif . $275?

$210.00 shipped.. boldblue.gif
SteveL

[/quote]

Happy Birthday Doc! beer.gif

Are those the aftermarket seals you have been working on?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.