Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So Cal Tech Session Pictures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Here are a few pictures of the people and cars that showed up for the tech session.
jim_hoyland
Three new 914 owners showed: Matt drove drown from Visalia with his red car, Adam brought his newly acquired Black 914, and ( I forgot your name) brought the green 914-6 that he bought in Minnisota and drove back to California. I thnk Alec also recently acquired a red 914 too...
Allan
Nice stuff. I wish like hell I could of made it.

At least I made some progress on my car...
jim_hoyland
Got to meet 2-OH, aka Rick Evan. He has one of the best rstored 914's around...
Justinp71
What are the stats on the 914 in the first picture with the huge flares? It looks like its packing some serious hp. biggrin.gif
Allan
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Apr 21 2007, 04:19 PM) *

What are the stats on the 914 in the first picture with the huge flares? It looks like its packing some serious hp. biggrin.gif

That's Dekmans /6.

IIRC, he just put a 3.2 in it.

It is one of the nicest teeners I have ever seen..
jim_hoyland
Green and Red belong to our host; the yellow one is Audioman, another great looking yellow 914
jim_hoyland
Howard was there for E-brake adjustment and donuts.... smile.gif
jim_hoyland
Chuck brought Fred's old 6, it was remaned Chucks 6...
jim_hoyland
Leamon, Thanks for hosting the So Cal Tech, it was a great day, great people, and super food. Really enjoyed seeing everyone.
euro911
Nice hooking up with you guys today ... and want to thank Leamon & Judy for hosting this cool event. I learned a few good things today (including the fact I am no longer able to ride a pogo-stick for more than 6-seconds) laugh.gif
Mike D.
Had a great time, Thanks Leamon! - We never actually made it out on a fun run so it's a good thing we took Sand Canyon over there. Worked on probably 8 cars today on the lifts. Lea even had a few raffel items.

Really good to see everyone!

More pics please piratenanner.gif

Aaron Cox
wish i could have made it....

went and dropped bye joe sharps though if that counts tongue.gif
ematulac
Looks like you guys had a good turnout. Wish I could have been there. Hopefully I can make it to the next one.

BTW, who is Chuck? I work in Burbank, and I've seen him come out of the parking lot at my office. I always start to drool when I see his car. drooley.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 21 2007, 05:16 PM) *

Three new 914 owners showed: Matt Mark drove drown from Visalia with his red car, Adam brought his newly acquired Black 914, and ( I forgot your name) brought the green 914-6 that he bought in Minnisota and drove back to California. I thnk Alec also recently acquired a red 914 too...

It was great meeting all of you! Saw some pretty awesome 914s and a shop to drewl for. The guys got my car dialed-in...sounds and runs great...thanks...with all the car lifts, everything seemed so much easier...no crap in my eyes, and I didn't have to be a contortionist to get to everything. I'm going to have to start out earlier next time...long trip back and forth in one day. Leamon...thank you for opening your home & shop, and your talents to everyone.
Thanks again,
Mark
TonyAKAVW
THANKS LEAMON AND JUDY!!!

What a great event! I got there at 9:30 or so, and got started pretty quickly with rebuilding my brake calipers. It took me a long time because it had been a few years since I'd rebuilt calipers. I forgot that it makes sense to pop out one cylinder, clean and grease that one, and then pop out the other. So I popped out both at a time, took a while.

Brake caliper rebuild went well, cylinders and pistons looked good with no real corrosion.

Next up was putting together the 911 SC crossmember. At that point I discovered that I didn't have one of the end caps for the torsion bars. Immediate showstopper. Luckily, Jeff (can't remember screen name here) had an identical suspension on his roller. So we drove over to the roller pulled the part and came back. Took a while to get things on, but eventually it all got installed. Ended up leaving at 9:30 with some slick new brakes, wheels, shocks, sway bar, etc.

There are a few issues of course. First is that I sheared one of the tapered pins that holds the ball joint and strut together (manual has incorrect torque setting). So I had to (VERY) temporarily replace that with a large bolt. It was enough to get me home but needs replacing very soon.

The ride height on the front is now much lower and as a consequence my front valence scraped and is now holding one for its dear life. These two things combined to really reduce the airflow under the car. On the way home the engign got a good 10 degrees warmer than the morning simply due to reduced airflow under the car.

I have to say though, the front end being low really looks slick!

Can't wait for the next event! Have to do my rear 5 lug suspension swap next.

Thanks again for everyone who helped out today, Jeff for the part, Brian for the sepcial tools, etc.

-Tony
KaptKaos
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Apr 22 2007, 12:44 AM) *

I have to say though, the front end being low really looks slick!

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
bottomend
Bottomend here... AKA Jeff

Tony AKAVW hit his head headbang.gif on the lift enough times for all of us combined! But then again, Heeltoe has like, 60 lifts at his shop so the odds were stacked againts each and everyone of us. Tony just happens to be a tad over 7ft tall ( no joke! He's had to cut "leg holes" under the dash to extend his legs) so, I guess he felt it was wise to test the strenght of the lifts personally so the rest of us " height challenged" folks could relax " down in the valley".

I have to admit that a nicer bunch of people couldn't have been assembled for this "tech day". I got a ride in a nice origenal 914-6 ( my first) that Gene brought from Minn. A ride with Audioman in his 2L ( possibly a 2056) with the honkin' Dells, a white knuckle yikes.gif ride with Tony to test the brakes in his Suby powered soap box and a quick cruise with Heeltoe in the irish914.jpg 914 2L.

For those of us on perpetual jack stands, it was an inspiration....
Thanks to Leamon, Judy and your dog.gif for hosting this day!
Howard
agree.gif Leamon and Judy are great hosts with a 914 dream house and garage.
Suzi's dragging ebrake wiped out the inside pad and rotor on the driver side. Leamon finds another rotor, Tony comes up with a new set of rear pads. Mike D does all the heavy work, I eat donuts. I love this group. wub.gif

Easter eggs.
Click to view attachment

EE pretending to be ME
Click to view attachment

Great thinkers.
Click to view attachment

New 914 mod. 5th spark plug. 102mpg on chicken manure.
Click to view attachment

Heeltoe914
What a great day it was, LONG but a great day. I was overjoyed with the turnout and the number of cars that got repaired or serviced and running better than when thay drove in.
But most of all I was very happy that guys walked away learning a little more about a fantastic car. You guy’s rock there was never a lack of hands willing to jump in and get dirty. We had people learning about “hell wholes” and other getting a better understanding of fuel injection.
But the project that wins is Tony Subi, front suspension transplant That Dude never gave up and by 8; 30 he was on the road. Thanks to all that keep this project going, it paid off the car looks good. We had about 15 cars + my 7. Not bad and about 4 guys that dropped in to learn how to get their cars off the jack stand. Gene 914-6 is a show stopper for me that car has 85K org miles all parts are there, He drove it cross country and there it sets. What a deal he got 12gs for a good running six YAAA. A little TLC and he is set. Thanks for bringing that car out Gene.
I think we worked on 9 cars Saturday all going home a little better than when thay arrived. So its true 20 heads are better than one. One 914 owner Mark I think his name is tailored his car 3 hours to the event and boy when I heard it I was worried, dropped sets are some real head damage was going on inside that motor. But this group had no fear we put it up and checked the valves. With the stethoscope we heard that 3 & 4 where WAY loud, with the cover off we found NO adj on that side I am not kidding I could but ¼” or more between the gaps. So folks got to learn how to do a hot valve adj. The event was for folks to learn and that we did. Thanks everyone for coming and sharing what you know. Sorry if I cant remember everyones name but I had a lot going on that day But stay tuned for the next So Cal event.
Thanks guys for putting in to the donation of food and drinks I hope you all had enough to eat. Someone made a bigger than needed donation to me personally for parts and food I think I know who you are. You’re a class act donut eater. But don’t do that again it was a pleasure having you and the others.
I Had some great support in planning this even from My long time friend Mike D , Thanks Mike.
And no man is complete without a great woman to support his activities, Thanks to my girl Judy for helping with the food, drinks and preparation. Yes guys she is a great gale. Wish me luck in keeping her happy.

PS: A great Thanks to Hector as well he was everwhere and willing to do anything. Hope to see him othen in the future. RED 76
Heeltoe914
more
Heeltoe914
stuff
Gudhjem
Looks like a great time. Hope I can come out for the next one.
hex123
I Just want to thank Leamon and his wife for hosting this event and allow us the use of his home and awesome garage. I also want to thank Mike D and the others. I was left awestruck by the amount of knowledge you guys have of these cars, 2 minor adjustments and my car runs worlds better. you guys are 914 gods pray.gif and that garage is certainly worthy of temple status. Hey do i see a tax write off "Church of the Devine 914" hehe.
I had a fun time and enjoyed meeting others from this board, you guys have some gorgeous cars, it was a bit humbling to say the least. I looking forward to hanging out again some time.

Ps: I still get a misfire on plug #5 any ideas laugh.gif
TonyAKAVW
Here are some pictures of my car post-suspension install. I really need to get the rear conversion going soon.

-Tony

TonyAKAVW
more
TonyAKAVW
last
914-300Hemi
Looks like it was a great day. I will sure to make the next one.

Ravi
dlo914
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Apr 22 2007, 05:37 PM) *

more

NICEEE biggrin.gif Reminds me of my old 914 and those cookie cutters look SWEET! thumb3d.gif I want a ride in your car the next time we meet biggrin.gif BTW how are those Hankook Ventus RS-2's? I heard they cost less than Azenis and still perform quite well.
jim_hoyland
Mark,

Did they get the valve problem fixed ?
Luke
I need to join in and say thanks to Leamon and Judy too.. what a great day! .. wasn't planning to stay sooo late ....

Of course .. Im just posting now because I've been cleaning my garage all day after seeing Leamon's .... Ha ..

Also to Tony for a ride in his Subie! ... Wow what a kick ... Faaast !.. I needed that push to finish mine ....
computers4kids
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 22 2007, 08:16 PM) *

Mark,

Did they get the valve problem fixed ?

Thanks for asking...YES, they did. Leamon & Mike found when the passenger valve cover was pulled, number 3's valves for some reason were WAY out of adjust...very loose. Leamon adjusted the valves, buttoned it-up and it purred like a kitten. I think everyone couldn't believe the difference. The valves were adjusted when the engine was still warm, so I need to go back and re-check/adjust them when it is cold. This new to me 2ltr runs like a champ! rocking nana.gif It was great meeting you...I enjoyed hanging out with everyone.
Mark

TonyAKAVW
Daniel, absolutely you can get a ride. I really like the RS-2s. The main reason I initially chose them was that tehy don't make the Azenis in the 195/50 size and thats what fit my EMPI wheels. This is now my second set and I really like them. Another benefit is that they work well in the rain whereas Azenis are supposed to be downright worthless. They probably aren't as good as the Azenis but honestly my driving ability is low enough that I probably can't tell much of a difference anyway.

I payed $75 a piece for these, 195/50/15 from discounttiredirect.com with "free" shipping.

-Tony
cuca914
As my first official post here on the World, I'd like to send out a HUGE thanks to Leamon, Mike & the gang of others who were there and were nice enough to contribute to my 914 education process. It's always interesting coming out to your first event as a newbie, but Leamon & Mike made it great fun. I came to meet fellow teeners and learn a little more about my recently purchased car and was able to do both. The best part was, we put it up on the rack and discovered my rear/passenger caliper was shot, and Leamon hooked me up with a replacement off of one of his rollers - didn't even know I had a problem.

It was great meeting everybody there, and I look forward to the next event so that I can work on putting the right names to the right faces.
Mike D.
More Pics from Sat. And Thanks everyone coming out, wish I could have stayed a little longer to help finish Tony's car.
Mike D.
Howie's car had a little rear brake problem, see if you can guess which pad was the problem...
Mike D.
Howard trying to diagnose another problem with the new Borescope... biggrin.gif Click to view attachment
Not sure if this shot was an accident, or if Chuck was being artsy...
Mike D.
The typical 914 Timing Pose...
Click to view attachment

Everyone checking out 2-Oh's (Rick) nice yellow car
Mike D.
Hector working on everything...
Here at the parts car with...I'm not sure whose back that is, maybe Steve??Click to view attachment

And helping out on Tony's front suspension, He's keeping a low profile, gov. relocation program - NO FACE SHOTs! just kidding smile.gif
Mike D.
Mark's Nice Red '75 (76?) had a valve adjustment problem; like there was none! They were so loose he could have dropped a push a rod! Here is everyone check out what that sounds like.
Click to view attachment

Wait, the camera does catch Hectors face, looks like he's filling out Tony's bill. biggrin.gif

Mike D.
Finally, Lea had a few give away parts/tools we almost forgot about. A few people had already left by the time he remembered, sorry guys. Anyway, there was a brake line T, pneumatic impact wrench, something else (???) and then a contest for anyone wanting a Brand New 70-74 front Bra...

The contest, who can stay on this the longest.........
Click to view attachment

there's only a four foot drop on the other side of that little wall... blink.gif
Click to view attachment

AND, thanks again to Leamon driving.gif and Judy driving-girl.gif (for keeping us feed), and I really enjoyed see everyone and meeting a few new folks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.