Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: White stuff.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BiG bOgGs
Click to view attachment

When I pulled the front part of the housing, I found a PILE of white poweder, almost the consistancy of fine kitty litter, just in these three areas. Sorry the pic isn't better, but at least it shows the location. It looks like aluminum oxidation, but I have never seen such a large amount anywhere before.

Any ideas as to what it is, and what I need to do to prevent this in the future?

(I did think it mught be a coke smuggling attempt, but after snorting some I quickly realized I was wrong.)

confused24.gif
type47
aluminum corrosion? aka, rust.
Allan
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 21 2007, 04:31 PM) *

aluminum corrosion? aka, rust.

agree.gif Oxidation...
DBCooper
You're in Florida. Any pool chemicals in your garage near the car? Chlorine for example, in a bucket with the lid slightly open? Chlorine will turn aluminum into powder, rust steel, is one of the few common chemicals that will corrode marine grade 316 stainless.
BiG bOgGs
I have only had the car for a couple months, and the oxidation is limited to the confined area I took the pic of. The rest of the housing is just covered in oil. sad.gif And you really can't tell from my bad shot, but the top of the three chambers was filled half way up with the powder.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.