Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting Woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
addwestern
I am having an issue on my 73 2.0 with the starting system. Car gets power, and battery is strong. When turing the key- I get absolutely nothing- not even the momentary pulse to the fuel pump.

At first, I thought it may be the ignition switch, replaced that with new as well as checked the starter- can jump the poles and get it to crank.

At this point, I have replaced the switch, checked the starter, and tried a new combo of board, regulator, and relays- to no avail.

Anyone think of what I may have missed? headbang.gif

Thanks-Nate
ahdoman
Hey Nate,
Careful with the relay replacement / testing. I recently discovered that it is possible to put the relays in 1 pin off (about 1/8 of a turn). I had problems getting my fuel pump relay to work and on a whim I pulled the relay, turned it one pin and it fit as well. When I did that all worked as it's supposed to. Just a thought.
rhodyguy
new starter.

k
addwestern
I'll check that- a different starter also did no good- had that one in house.
addwestern
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Apr 21 2007, 09:06 PM) *

Hey Nate,
Careful with the relay replacement / testing. I recently discovered that it is possible to put the relays in 1 pin off (about 1/8 of a turn). I had problems getting my fuel pump relay to work and on a whim I pulled the relay, turned it one pin and it fit as well. When I did that all worked as it's supposed to. Just a thought.

QUOTE(addwestern @ Apr 21 2007, 09:28 PM) *

I'll check that- a different starter also did no good- had that one in house.

That worked on the fuel pump- I think I'll try yet another starter tomorrow.

Thanks!!!!
rhodyguy
is this an all the time issue or when the car is good and hot?

k
addwestern
I've only had the car about 2 months, but has seemed to be an intermittent issue both when the car is cold, and hot.

r_towle
Ground strap from transmission to under side of trunk.

I think on 73 there is a "logic circuit" under the passengers seat that will not let you start unless your seatbelt is fastened.

This little box was a dismal failure due to lots of reasons..but location and rust had alot to do with its failure..

anyways, its part of the ignition circuit.
Simple to fix.
There are two very large yellow wires going into this little "box from hell" logic circuit.
Remove them from the little silver devil and connect them together, away from the box.
These are 12 hot leads, so do a good job wrapping them up so they never hit the ground...

Rich
addwestern
Nope- non-existent- (at least in this car)
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 21 2007, 09:13 PM) *

agree.gif check your grounds ...
addwestern
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 21 2007, 10:38 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 21 2007, 09:13 PM) *

agree.gif check your grounds ...

Yeah- that's about what I was figuring- there's the ones by the lights, trans strap, battery and by the relay board- right?
r_towle
well realy for the starting circuit there are two grounds you need to worry about.

The ground strap to the transmission, and the ground strap from the battery to the body.

rich
drive-ability
I would think the ground by the fuse / relay board is vital, just seems to me I am no 914 systems expert however
914nerd
fuel injected?
if so, the FI relay is a critical part
Do you have fuel? Spark? Starter?
Check them all individually and (with a current flow diagram) look for common connections that might have failed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.