Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumblebee on Ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
73Phoenix20
There looks to be a nicely refurbed and claimed to be originally a '74 2.0 LE "Bumblebee" listed on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=330111476018

Says Otto's in Venice did the work; big enough windshield sticker to that effect.

I sent a question to the seller, but so far nothing back...

Did the LE's not have the vinyl rollbar covering? And, was the rollbar trim painted black on the original cars? I know we have some experts here who can comment on such...

Mostly, I was curious as to whether the fuel lines had been replaced with stainless, and how much rust was originally in the hell hole and longs, and did they add any chassis stiffeners when the car was redone.

Maybe we can get the seller to chime in here???
r_towle
A non-rusted perfect example of a Limited Edition Bumble-Bee correctly restored
that is from the ad,

Also the ad mentions that this was a ground up restoration by Otto's in Venice....Google Ottos Venice and send them an email, or better yet, call them,,,

Rich
scotty b
QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ Apr 21 2007, 06:56 PM) *

There looks to be a nicely refurbed and claimed to be originally a '74 2.0 LE "Bumblebee" listed on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=330111476018

Did the LE's not have the vinyl rollbar covering? And, was the rollbar trim painted black on the original cars? I know we have some experts here who can comment on such...

No and Yes. I do believe however there was a discussion recently about a few LE's having roll bar vinyl, but most if not all had none.
73Phoenix20
Yep, I guess Otto's would be a good place to start...

And in spite of the ad verbiage, I have yet to see a "NON RUSTED" 914; I think the '73 that I bought brand new had rust from the boat ride coming over!!! It only gets worse from there...

If this car was driven on public roads, it had rust starting at some point in it's life... may have been "reprocessed" into something else now, but there was some somewhere!
JeffBowlsby
This Bumblebee is from Ottos, VIN 14700 and the ebay photos look to have been taken in Ottos shop. Knowing that Ottos did the restoration work you can expect top quality.

There is only one documented and authenticated LE with vinyl Targa bar trim, its a Creamsicle with a very late 1974 VIN. It also is for sale if any is interested.
John
Where is the PORSCHE lettering on the engine lid?

Nice looking car though.
orthobiz
Before I bought my Phoenix Red car, I checked this one out and spoke with Otto. It's the one advertised for 25K on the AA website (has George ever updated that site??). If this car had rust, it's all gone now. Apparently this was a project that kept his mechanics busy during his slow times. Everything, but everything, was redone. Otto has extensive pics, he sent me probably two dozen.

From those pics, I can tell you the car looks absolutely great mechanically. It wasn't especially clean from a concours standpoint, but it was very, very nice. From the current eBay pics, it looks like it's been detailed much more.

He told me he was just trying to recoup expenses. It may be pricey but it's an awesome ride.

Paul
73Phoenix20
Thanks Paul! Be interesting to see where the bidding takes it...

Sounds like it would be a very dependable and mechanically reliable car, if not a perfect original one. I suppose there's always that tradeoff...

Still kicking myself for letting that Olympic Blue care go to Holland.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.