Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Timing belt tensioners one time use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
I have to replace the water pump gasket for my audi 1.8t.

So I have to take the timing belt off to put on the new gasket for the water pump. But I have a new tensioner, all new belts, ect... I just overtightened the water pump gasket and it leaked. Now I have a new (much better) gasket to install.. and I didnt purchase a new tensioner because I assumed I didnt need to.. Now I would like to know if the timing belt tensioners are one time use items.. IE pull the pin, and your done with that one.

I had to use alot of pressure to push the rod back in enough to put the pin in.. But now the tensioner pin can slide in and out without work.

Anyone know?

Thanks

Andrew
Cap'n Krusty
What year? What belt/tensioner combo? Sounds like you didn't get the updated tensioner. If you didn't, you should. The new ones are apparently the "fix" for the failure prone early ones. Number of teeth are different on the belt. Can't mix'em.

The Cap'n
Andyrew
98.. Ya it was upgrated everything.. I had it all installed with new stuff... but my water pump gasket was too tight and was leaking... so I had to take everything back out again...

Got it fixed now... I think
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.