Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: racing seats
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Chris Hamilton
I've been autocrossing the red 914 for a couple events now, and notice that the stock seats are a bit lacking in support and comfort.

I've noticed at corbeau they have the FX-1 Pro seat http://www.corbeau.com/products/fx1pro/fx1pro.shtml
This seat looks really nice, and they seem to have mounts for a 914, but I can't find any place to buy the dang things.

Performance Products has Momo seats at pretty decent prices, however they don't have any brackets that fit a 914 listed.
http://www.automotion.com/productpage.aspx...OMO+RS+GT+Seats

Does anyone have any suggestions for sport seats for the 914? Pictures and personal experiences would be really helpful.
DanT
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Apr 22 2007, 06:18 PM) *

I've been autocrossing the red 914 for a couple events now, and notice that the stock seats are a bit lacking in support and comfort.

I've noticed at corbeau they have the FX-1 Pro seat http://www.corbeau.com/products/fx1pro/fx1pro.shtml
This seat looks really nice, and they seem to have mounts for a 914, but I can't find any place to buy the dang things.

Performance Products has Momo seats at pretty decent prices, however they don't have any brackets that fit a 914 listed.
http://www.automotion.com/productpage.aspx...OMO+RS+GT+Seats

Does anyone have any suggestions for sport seats for the 914? Pictures and personal experiences would be really helpful.

here you go Chris.
free shipping if you buy two....
I have been shopping for race seats and Corbeaus seem to be the same price everywhere....

I am going to get either the Clubman or the Forzas....I had Forzas before...

website
http://www.racing-seats-usa.com/racingseats1.html
Chris Hamilton
Have you dealt with this store before? I just want to make sure I'm dealing with a trusted source before I go handing out credit card numbers. smile.gif
DanT
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Apr 22 2007, 10:03 PM) *

Have you dealt with this store before? I just want to make sure I'm dealing with a trusted source before I go handing out credit card numbers. smile.gif

Nope, can't say that I have...but a phone call to them might ease your mind....did you look on the Corbeau company site to see if they show up on their dealer list?
Chris Pincetich
I'm saving $$$ for the MOMO Start from LTB Motorsports - looks cheaper there than your link. Those FX1 Pro seats for $280 at 16 lbs look good too beerchug.gif
Is there a NorCal shop that has both these seats for test fitting?
Joe Ricard
You will end up modding and fabricating your seat and seat rails anyway once you realize your helmet hits the roof while driving.
I have sparco rails bolted directly through 1/4" pads welded to the floor pan. I also cut out the front cross brace. so far after ALLOT of High G loading there have been no ill effects.

I have two older Sparco steel tube frame seats. I want a MOMO fiberglass seat next go around.
mudfoot76
My car currently has Corbeau "Classic II" and I've got two brand new Forzas in my basement awaiting install. I started at the Corbeau website and found a local retailer. I did talk to them directly and was told they do not sell to individuals over the phone WTF.gif OK whatever - they don't want to take my $$ directly for some reason. That was a hassle, but I do have nice seats. I ordered mine finished in microfiber because I do not like the basic cloth that my classicIIs have right now.

Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 23 2007, 02:02 PM) *

You will end up modding and fabricating your seat and seat rails anyway once you realize your helmet hits the roof while driving.
I have sparco rails bolted directly through 1/4" pads welded to the floor pan. I also cut out the front cross brace. so far after ALLOT of High G loading there have been no ill effects.

I have two older Sparco steel tube frame seats. I want a MOMO fiberglass seat next go around.

I will need them to be easily adjustable on the drivers side, my frequent co-driver is a good 12 inches taller than me. Corbeau advertises rails specifically for the 914.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Apr 23 2007, 10:22 PM) *

I will need them to be easily adjustable on the drivers side, my frequent co-driver is a good 12 inches taller than me. Corbeau advertises rails specifically for the 914.

Yea I have seat sliders too. That's what is bolted to the floor pans the seat is bolted to sliders.
byndbad914
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Apr 23 2007, 07:22 PM) *

I used Corbeus years ago for the same reason - they supposedly worked with the sliders. After making adapters in the end and then having the material decompose within about 3 months on the shoulder area TWICE (I did one return, got maybe 4 months on the second seat) I just let them rot.

I will NEVER give another dime to Corbeau. On another note, my buddy had Sparcos in his old Mustang T/A for something like 6-7yrs without a single issue and the fit nicely. I would buy Sparcos if you are looking for a good street/race seat, but as mentioned before, they are taller/wider than Corbeus, so get ready to mount directly to the floor and remove the cross brace. If you are slick with welding or have access to a friend that does, you can make very simple brackets that will mount the stock rails to the floor, tipped at an angle (which you may want to set yourself since some seats have a 20deg angle built in), then just mount the stock sliders to the seat. Hard to describe, but easy to do... my Ultrashields are on the stock sliders and rails.

I LOVE the Ultrashields and how they fit. Oh yeah, make sure you can sit in the seat before you ever buy one - they all fit a little differently and it's the whole different strokes thing with fit and feel. I tried Kirkey and Ultrashield which look identical, have same dims etc and I liked the Ultrashields just a little bit better in my rib area for instance... I also sat in Momos and Sparcos and there was one particular Sparco that I really liked too tho' don't remember the model since I bought the Ultras. Point is they all fit differently and you need to sit before you buy.
mudfoot76
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Apr 24 2007, 12:44 PM) *

Point is they all fit differently and you need to sit before you buy.

agree.gif

No matter what brand/model you decide, don't buy without sitting in one first. Go to a local event and ask nicely - everyone I've ever talked to about seats was more than happy to let me sit in their car for a bit to see how I liked the seat. I ended up with the Corbeau b/c the price was right and I already have brackets that fit.
yarin
I've got Corbeua Forza seats.

IPB Image

I bought them used with custom boxed brackets that mount to the factory seat points. In regards to construction/quality, I agree they are a little flimsy and cheap. Decent bang for the buck.

Definitely sit in one before you buy.
Joe Ricard
Had Corbeaus in my 1st 914.
The seats were mounted on top of the stock seat rails. and obviously the only thing holding the seat down was the little screws at the rear pivot and the stock latch thingy up front.
Absolutley ridiculous concept. Bolt the slider to the floor or make an angle iron stand matching the hieght of the front cross brace. and bolt the sliders to it. way safer in my opinion. I also run 5 point harnesses everywhere I go. don't even have stock belts.
Chris Hamilton
After quite a bit of shopping, I finally ended up buying a used corbeau forza on the cheap locally, and then proceeded to change the hyundai mount to something I could bolt to the 914 rails. I'll have to take some pictures of it later, ended up quite interesting, but now the thing slides better than the 914 seat ever did.

When I get the brakes bled tomorrow I'll take it out for a spin and see how I like the feel.
sean_v8_914
good seat. I would not have run a clubman because it lacks the shoulder wings
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.