Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: head vents unplugged
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
drivers side http://www.pbase.com/jimkelly/image/77499674

passenger side http://www.pbase.com/jimkelly/image/77499675
904svo
They will spit oil out of them!!!! I would sugest you install a oil breather box
or to the air cleaner.
Dave_Darling
Those pictures illustrate the most typical problem: Tons of oil leaking. Could be even more, particularly going around corners and/or at high RPM, when the rocker box fills up.

Lower probability, higher consequence: Some crud falls in there, and travels down the pushrod tube to the oil sump, and then gets circulated around the engine's oil system. Perhaps something hard, like some metal bits. Or something that can plug an oil gallery. Either of those can be the cause of severe engine problems, after a little while...

--DD
jimkelly
thanks guys - jim
SGB
Anyplace that does aircooled VWs should have a breather box - I think it is from Empi. Comes with the right size oil lines and everything.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 22 2007, 09:10 PM) *

Those pictures illustrate the most typical problem: Tons of oil leaking. Could be even more, particularly going around corners and/or at high RPM, when the rocker box fills up.

Lower probability, higher consequence: Some crud falls in there, and travels down the pushrod tube to the oil sump, and then gets circulated around the engine's oil system. Perhaps something hard, like some metal bits. Or something that can plug an oil gallery. Either of those can be the cause of severe engine problems, after a little while...

agree.gif

depending on the engine rpm, they either blow out oil or suck in air (and other small items) ...

neither of which is desirable ...
bye1.gif Andy
Allan
Those look more like the air injection ports for the smog equipment more than head ports.

Has the motor been run like that?

I would thing it would create BIG problems being that they lead right to the back side of the valves.

Minimal oil leakage but TONS of hot exhaust gasses.

EDIT: I looked at the pics again and it is breather ports. MESSY!!!
TheCabinetmaker
Not injecton ports. Breather ports.
jimkelly
two guys prove - that two heads are better than one : ) - in most cases anyway ; )

thanks

jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.