Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prepping a 77 911 for painting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
theshartrucegoose
heres the deal. I am 13 years old and i own a 77 911 (project car FYI). i have earned enouph money for the best paint job in the state 5,000 dollars. However i have a lot more things to do to the car then just painting it. i need to basicly prep the car for painting myself, to save money. should i sand the car down? what should i do? i need to know how to do this and what else i should do. i want to make this a COMPLETE NEW PAINT JOB. i dont want to half *** this job. any ideas??WHAT SHOULD I DO?
-daniel W

P.S. does anyone know any BEUTIFUL colors for painting thiscar? also sorry bout the 911 on the 914 forum
Spoke
welcome.png

Even though its not a 914, you can find some good tips here as well as the 911 section at pelicanparts.com. Not sure where else there is a 911 "club".

For colors, there's another thread about favorite car colors. Wow, 13 and you have a Porsche. You've definitely got your priorities straight. Good luck with it and have patience. My favorite colors are Red and Black. Red looks good with chrome trim and black just looks good with anything.

For paint prep, I've seen folks sand old paint if the paint is securely on and the new paint is compatible with the old paint. What kind a shape is the body in? Got pics? Some folks strip down to bare metal. If you just sand, use a long board to sand to get a smooth finish. Paint prep is a major part of a good paint job.

Spoke
scotty b
For the best possible results, you should definitely take the body down to bare metal. HOWEVER, be prepared to find not only body damage (bondo) but more than likely RUST. Take special note of the rockers, door posts, reara of floor pan and front trunk. As for the color it is up to you. 911's are one of those cars that look great in almost any color ! You also need to fin out if the 500.00 quote includes any smoothing, primer, sealer etc. for 5000.00 I would take you car as you brought it to me, seal it once and block it before painting, this would NOT include fixing any serious damage or ripples in the body, but would allow me to show you what areas needed more werk. You could then take the car home and try the repair yourself or the estimate could be adjusted appropriately. Paint job price can also be affected/alterd by using lower quality paint and doing more body werk. Lower quality paint is not necessarily a bad thing. Oh and Welcome! Were alot more fun than those 911 guys popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.