Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My new wheels and the problems they can cause....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
Well, My new 16" X 8" and 16" X9" Fuch copies arrived Friday. I had my tires mounted yesterday and promptly went to install them. As it turns out the center the studs slide through is thinner on my new wheels than my old wheels. I didn't notice until I was torquing the alloy nuts. I noticed one of them had cracked from the stud trying to push through the end! Crap!

So I figure no big deal, a couple of new alloy nuts and trim the stud down and I'll be back in business. So I figured I may as well check the fit and clearance before removing the wheels. Turns out the 225/55/16 tires won't clear the forward lip on the front flares! I should have ordered 225/50/16...

So I go to remove the front wheels. 9 nuts came off, one was stuck and caused the stud to spin! Can't get the new wheel off!

So I figured I would try to remove the rotor. I was glad this happened to the 16" wheels and not my 15" wheels. I had just enough room to remove the pads from my BMW 2002 calipers then remove the caliper. I made a modification to the rubber line bracket many years ago allowing me to slip the rubber line out fo the bracket without disconnecting the brake pipe.

Then I proceeded to attempt to remove the dust cover. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal but I have a wheel spacer. The cap has a lip that would clear the opening in the spacer. I tryed to use a hole saw sawzall-smiley.gif but I could only cut about half way around as my center bit was off center by just a little. I had to cut the top open with a sharped screw driver and a hammer to get to the clamp nut. This is no easy task with a brand new wheel on the rotor!... smash.gif

Then I cut about a 3/8" piece of 6 mm allen wrench and carefull slipped it into the clamp bolt. Using a 6 mm box end wrench I was able to loosen the clamp bolt enough to spin the nut off the spindle.

What a nightmare. It took about 4 hours to get the rotor off with the wheel in place.

Here's a couple of photos of the carnage and my new wheels.

Anyone have a spare dust cover? I'm robbing one off the Raspberry car for now but I'll need to replace it.

Damage report: 5 alloy nuts at $ 6.00 ea. one dust cap. No damage to the wheel. smile.gif
skline
So where is the picture of the new wheels? You said..........................
rick 918-S
My new rear wheel 16" X 9" compared to my old 15" X 8"
skline
confused24.gif
skline
Come on Rick, perhaps your day was too long and you are tired, but your pictures are not showing up.....
rick 918-S
Stupid up load isn't working. Hang on...
So.Cal.914
I don't see much difference...I don't see anything.
rick 918-S
Try this...
rick 918-S
Maybe this..
rick 918-S
Oh, and the engine should go in this week. It's a little further along than this picture.
skline
They look really good, did you go for the larger wheels for top end speed or just tire availability?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(skline @ Apr 22 2007, 11:09 PM) *

They look really good, did you go for the larger wheels for top end speed or just tire availability?

Tire availability. But let me tell you, I'm not real happy with the selection for the size and look I was trying to achive. I ended up with Yokohamas again not that there is anything wrong with them I just wanted a fatter looking tire. . I wanted Dunlaps but the fronts were discontinued. I'm trying to keep the car looking like it was done in the 70's. My car isn't all about the big motor. it's a suttle theme of sorts. If I wasn't concerned about the look I would have gone for the 17"s that are being introduced on the pelican site.
iamchappy
I think I have a cap if you want it.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Apr 23 2007, 05:59 AM) *

I think I have a cap if you want it.

Thanks, clap56.gif I'll stop over next time I get to the metro.
iamchappy
Are you sure you dont want me to send it up to ya right now.
grantsfo
Are thiose new replicas? If so who is selling those sizes?
Aaron Cox
they are cast right?

performance products sells them IIRC
r_towle
Rick,
Considering how much we drive our cars, winter and all..

I removed the dust shield...dont need it.
It have some advantages not being there...as you now know...

Just take them off, put them on the shelf...
I found that with the sticky autox tires, I was picking up alot of little gravel and getting it wedged in between the dust shield and the rotor...so off it came...

I like it removed, because I can now see the back of the rotor just by looking from the inside, and that helps me keep track of pad wear, and if the inside and outside are both working ok...

Rich
scotty b
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 22 2007, 10:51 PM) *

Try this...

Your car is dirty poke.gif happy11.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Apr 23 2007, 06:39 AM) *

Are you sure you dont want me to send it up to ya right now.

I'm on for wednesday. I'll see you early like around 8:30 am. We'll kick some ass.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 23 2007, 06:42 AM) *

Are thiose new replicas? If so who is selling those sizes?

Performance Products. approx. $ 1000.00 for 4 wheels. They are a low pressure cast. They are light. I'm happy with them.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 23 2007, 07:24 AM) *

they are cast right?

performance products sells them IIRC

Yes, low pressure cast. The lips are a brushed finish.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 23 2007, 08:14 AM) *

Rick,
Considering how much we drive our cars, winter and all..

I removed the dust shield...dont need it.
It have some advantages not being there...as you now know...

Just take them off, put them on the shelf...
I found that with the sticky autox tires, I was picking up alot of little gravel and getting it wedged in between the dust shield and the rotor...so off it came...

I like it removed, because I can now see the back of the rotor just by looking from the inside, and that helps me keep track of pad wear, and if the inside and outside are both working ok...

Rich

Dust capover the bearing not dust sheild. Did I say dust sheild? Sorry...
rick 918-S
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 23 2007, 03:02 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 22 2007, 10:51 PM) *

Try this...

Your car is dirty poke.gif happy11.gif

Yes, dirty and damaged from winter storage. I've got a butt load of work to do before the Atomic Ramble!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.