Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lack of power
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rigglet
Well I finally get my exhaust leak all fixed and decide to take her out for a drive. I get about 5-6 miles out and then the problems start. First thing I notice is that when I come to a stop sign the car will not stay running. In fact if I put the clutch in while driving the car will stall. It starts right back up, but I have to keep the accelerator slightly pressed to keep it running. Not a huge deal, probably a little idle tweaking or the like.

The more disturbing problem happened on the way home. The car seemed to lose power...big time. And in addition to the lack of power it sputtery (is that a real word???) confused24.gif acceleration. This will be hard to explain so hopefully it makes sense. The car would just kind of dog along. No high engine revs or changes in engine sounds. The occasionally for a second or two the car would "hook up" and I would get the acceleration and pull I would expect from it.

I'm going to be replacing vacuum hoses which I am sure will help if not eliminate the first issue. But I'm stumped on the larger problem. Any thoughts guys and gals?

Thanks,

Troy
rigglet
One more thing I just thought of that may or may not be of some use. Other than when the clutch was pressed I could not get the car to rev above ~3k. Don't know if that sheds any light on anything, but thought I would add the information.

Thanks again for any assistance all!
Heeltoe914
Whats the status of basic tune-up part? plugs wires cap points trigger points Etc. Its FI correct? Vavle adj, last done, To correctly figure this out all other things need to be working well to perfect.
toon1
check the fuel filter.
rigglet
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Apr 23 2007, 12:49 PM) *

Whats the status of basic tune-up part? plugs wires cap points trigger points Etc. Its FI correct? Vavle adj, last done, To correctly figure this out all other things need to be working well to perfect.

I just did the valves about a month ago and have driven it very little since. I will check the other items. I just found another post which talked about a problem very similar to the one I am experiencing. If I had any search skills I would have been able to find the post prior to posting my question. headbang.gif I'm also going to make sure the timing and dwell are set correctly. Hopefully those things will expose any issue and it will be easily fixable. But I'm always up for additional suggestions!

Thanks for the responses guys!
r_towle
howdy

In this order.

Check your points, replace if you cant remember when you did, or if it was more than 6 months ago..replace them...its a wopping 4 bucks..
New condensor also.

Cap, wires, plugs etc are all up to you.
Point are 6 months max...

Now, when did you last buy gas?
Is it old gas ?

Also, the distributor needs to be removed and cleaned...

rich
Heeltoe914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 23 2007, 11:48 AM) *

howdy

In this order.

Check your points, replace if you cant remember when you did, or if it was more than 6 months ago..replace them...its a wopping 4 bucks..
New condensor also.

Is it old gas ?

rich
agree.gif
rigglet
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 23 2007, 02:48 PM) *

howdy

In this order.

New condensor also.

Is it old gas ?

rich

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestion. It is encouraging to hear that it may be something fairly painless like dizzy cleanup/tune up. I was afraid I was in for something really nasty. I know there was a recent post about cleaning the distributor. I'll find that one and use it for a reference.

Thanks again for the input everyone!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.