Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition switch compatability
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blitZ
My ignition switch broke this weekend, had to get a push start to drive home from the local AX Novice school. I was hoping to find one local, the Porsche dealer has them NLA. Isn't this the same as a bug switch? My car is a 76.

computers4kids
QUOTE(blitZ @ Apr 23 2007, 07:46 AM) *

My ignition switch broke this weekend, had to get a push start to drive home from the local AX Novice school. I was hoping to find one local, the Porsche dealer has them NLA. Isn't this the same as a bug switch? My car is a 76.

Bug shops carry the exact part you need, the only thing your not going to have a Porsche key anymore. There are two different key cylinder combinations that the bug's shop sell...they look very similar...be sure to take your old part with you.
The cylinder and key runs less than $20.
blitZ
I just need the electrical plastic piece, or are you saying I'll have to replace the key and tumbler if I get a VW switch?

Thanks
nbscooters
The plastic piece is a common part and they are only a few bucks. You can check if the switch is bad by seeing if it is cracked.

If it is the tumbler and key, you might be able to save it by filing down the end of the lock. My dad showed me once and it worked.
blitZ
QUOTE(nbscooters @ Apr 23 2007, 01:03 PM) *

The plastic piece is a common part and they are only a few bucks. You can check if the switch is bad by seeing if it is cracked.

I already removed the switch, it's cracked. So, I can just go to a bug shop and ask for an ignition switch for a 76 bug?
r_towle
Call George Hussey at Auto Atlanta in GA..
He stocks the correct one for your car.

George Hussey
Automobile Atlanta Inc.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
770 427 2844 ext. 16
505 South Marietta Pky
Marietta, Georgia 30060

Rich
Cap'n Krusty
111 905 865L is the part number. Fits very late bugs, busses, rabbits, golfs, jettas, 924s, whatever. Kostal is the brand we're seeing now, and they're good quality. Retail list is close to 40 bucks. Half that still gives the seller a nice profit. Shop around. The Cap'n
blitZ
Thanks Cap'n and all, that's what I was looking for.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.