Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New shocks are awesome
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Joe Ricard
Koni race 8610-1473 inserts in front
AFCO threaded aluminum Body Coilover 1473 out back.

Did a test and tune on crapped out Cantilevered slicks that no longer had any depth gauge holes.

We ran the car for nearly 4 straight hours. only shutting off to make an adjustment.
We learned that with the agressive rebound of the front shocks that the car would be held down on the front by nearly and inch after a run. I dropped the rear by that much. Gained a skid pad increase from 1.12 up to 1.21 sustained with consideraby more speed. Tweeked tire pressure and front rebound increase and went up to 1.27 with peaks of 1.31. We then started to tune throttle lift oversteer. Snapping the throttle closed and yanking the wheel and stabbing the gas just to see how we could get the car to hang out and rotate with power on.

We had to quit because it was making us sick.

Later in the day we set up a full autocross course and tuned some more with ride hieght down an 1/8" and made like 15 runns before we started to not be able top go any faster and could no longer put power down.

We thought at 1st we made some wrong adjustment. I waked to the back of the car looked at the tires and said Hey suspension is good. WE GOT STRINGS nearly 1/3 the way across the inside edge of the tire.
Put it on the trailer and called it a day. total success and we couldn't believe the tires lasted as long as they did.
McMark
That's so awesome! Sounds like a great day ( except for getting dizzy ).
grantsfo
Sounds like a major improvement. Good work! What do you use to measure G's?

Since I have Traqmate its been fun to measure G's during track days. Doing skidpad testing would be very interesting. On the track my car was averaging 1.5 G's in some corners with some spikes as high as 2.
Joe Ricard
Using G tech RR.
The new tires I have mounted up ready for Houston National tour should be very interesting. Going from R600 Goodyear cantilevered slicks with 4 lapping days and 80 AX runs to Hoosier FA slicks should be pretty interesting. We will get a couple practice on on Friday to make sure the surface agrees with our set up.
charlesmac
SWEEEEET!!!!!! you're gonna have to let me run it at least once again this year since i'm a loser and haven't done anything to get mine going yet. Where did ya'll go to do the testing?
Aaron Cox
pics of the rear setup?
i thought they were a double heim style shock.. jsut curious how you mounted them up top in the rear.

running em upside down also ?
URY914
"...put it on the trailer..."???

Now you have a real race car. biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
I mounted the rear shocks with bolts. Big Effin bolts.
1.27 G's in the 1st pic. the 2nd one is launching out of a corner WOT 3rd gear near 6000 RPM. Hit the rev limiter of 6250 as it came straight out the exit gate. those are 200 lb rear springs.
Joe Ricard
crap it is fast
groot
Great work, Joe!

I'm a bit surprised about your deltas, though. We do a lot of testing here and damping has only a very small effect on constant radius (skidpad) numbers. Tires, springs and bars are your hammers there.

Also, those tires must be pretty old (obvious since you corded them) because your absolute G numbers are a bit low.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(groot @ Apr 24 2007, 11:13 AM) *

Great work, Joe!

I'm a bit surprised about your deltas, though. We do a lot of testing here and damping has only a very small effect on constant radius (skidpad) numbers. Tires, springs and bars are your hammers there.

Also, those tires must be pretty old (obvious since you corded them) because your absolute G numbers are a bit low.

Yea, more of the story was we were starting with our old base line set ups before shocks. so the improvements were just getting the car balanced.
after we got the best we could out of constant state skid pad. then we started working on throttle lift oversteer and getting the rear end to be more predictable.

Yes I would say the tires were pretty hammered. being R600 cantilevered Goodyears I picked up used here (I think he said 3 or 4 heat cycles). I put 60 laps on them at NPR then subjected them to 4 driver back to back runs at an autocross totalling 65 runs. and then another event that we hammered on them pretty hard 15 runs. then this all day test and tune. When we started the day we had no visible depth holes.
Joe Ricard
http://racingsynergy.com/Videos/100_0893.MOV My 914 at the test and tune
http://racingsynergy.com/Videos/100_0903.MOV .Friends RT-10
Borderline
Joe: where did you go to set up a skid pad and AX course and not get arrested? What radius did you use for the skid pad? Car looks awesome!
Joe Ricard
One of the local autocross regions does one of these 2 or 3 times a year. mostly at the beginning of the season and then before Nationals.
It's about 50 bucks but like I said we hard shut the car off for 4 hours.
and then there was the afternoon session of as many runs as you could stand.
Didn't measure the skid pad but it was close to 100 ft dia.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.