Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to the World
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cuca914
Hey gang! I joined the board about a month ago but haven't had a lot to post about until now. The story goes...always wanted a 914 since high school when I was informed that you could actually put a v8 in one; never actually considered buying one until about 2 months ago; did a lot of research, lurking, and posting on the other site and finally found a prospect up north in Salem Oregon; drove up there a week ago, bought it, trailered it home, and am now the proud owner of a black 1972 1.7 Porsche 914!

I look forward to chatting with, meeting, and learning from a lot of you vets out there.

Here are some pics...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
BMXerror
Gorgeous car. welcome.png
I live up in the high desert. Maybe we can meet and tear up the San Bernardino mountains sometime.... Your car will look even better next to mine! biggrin.gif
Mark D.
drewvw

wow great looking car, nice score.

welcome.png
cuca914
I live up in the high desert. Maybe we can meet and tear up the San Bernardino mountains sometime.... Your car will look even better next to mine!
Mark D.

Sounds like fun, although I need to do some tuning-up first. Leamon gave me a short list of things to do at his Tech Day BBQ this weekend that would help to tighten up the performance a little bit. The car runs pretty good but it needs a valve adjustment, plugs, wires, points and probably an oil change. The first & most immediate $$ item will be putting new shocks in - it REALLY needs it.
Heeltoe914
Adam thanks again for coming out I hope you will be out at R & G on the 29th it will be perfect for you to pick up some cheap parts for your car maybe even shocks.
Coy
welcome.png I see you found the other board. I saw pictures of you and your car at the tech thing. Looks like you had a good weekend. What a great opportunity to learn stuff!
cuca914
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Apr 23 2007, 11:11 AM) *

Adam thanks again for coming out I hope you will be out at R & G on the 29th it will be perfect for you to pick up some cheap parts for your car maybe even shocks.

Hey Leamon, yes I will be there this Sunday - probably not as early as they're getting started but I'll be there. Do you suppose I'd be able to get some decent used shocks there? Or should I just plan on buying new?
cuca914
QUOTE(Coy @ Apr 23 2007, 11:13 AM) *

I see you found the other board. I saw pictures of you and your car at the tech thing. Looks like you had a good weekend. What a great opportunity to learn stuff!

It was an invaluable experience, even if I was only there for a few hours. I hope there are more events like this one planned in the future - and frequently! If not for the spreading of knowledge, then just for the opportunity to meet everybody.
Ferg
Nice looking car, I love the black and brown combo thumb3d.gif

Ferg
Heeltoe914
QUOTE(cuca914 @ Apr 23 2007, 11:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Apr 23 2007, 11:11 AM) *

Hey Leamon, yes I will be there this Sunday - probably not as early as they're getting started but I'll be there. Do you suppose I'd be able to get some decent used shocks there? Or should I just plan on buying new?

You never know But its a few days away and its worth the wait. Maybe even put a WTB add in the class, section, But if you are planning a V8 conversion Buy the good stuff now so you dont have to buy again. Koni, Bilstiens. etc, Also look for some sway bars. I have a front FS. You mite also consider a smaller streering wheel You are a teddy bear so a smaller wheel will make it easyer for you getting in and out.
So.Cal.914
Nice car and year, and welcome.png
rigglet
welcome.png

Beautiful car! Enjoy!
Aaron Cox
welcome to the madness, im in pomona/corona CA.
cuca914
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Apr 23 2007, 12:18 PM) *

You never know But its a few days away and its worth the wait. Maybe even put a WTB add in the class, section, But if you are planning a V8 conversion Buy the good stuff now so you dont have to buy again. Koni, Bilstiens. etc, Also look for some sway bars. I have a front FS. You mite also consider a smaller streering wheel You are a teddy bear so a smaller wheel will make it easyer for you getting in and out.

I doubt that this car will become a v8 conversion, but I still intend to install either Koni or Bilstein shocks. I'm very interested in the possibility of acquiring/installing the front sway bar that you have. Shoot me a PM and let me know what's involved and how much. As far as a steering wheel goes, I most certainly will be replacing the stock one with something a little roomier. I think I saw one of the vendors selling a column extension - what's your take on those? idea.gif
Gint
Nice 914. Factory black?

welcome.png
Trevorg7
welcome.png

T
Pat Garvey
Man, nice 914!!!! I'm partial to '72's.

If that is factory black....or, who cares, it's gorgeous!

Enjoy it! What's the VIN?
Pat
brer
Happy 914 birthday.
orange914
thumb3d.gif smilie_pokal.gif
QUOTE(cuca914 @ Apr 23 2007, 11:07 AM) *

I live up in the high desert. Maybe we can meet and tear up the San Bernardino mountains sometime.... Your car will look even better next to mine!
Mark D.

Sounds like fun, although I need to do some tuning-up first. Leamon gave me a short list of things to do at his Tech Day BBQ this weekend that would help to tighten up the performance a little bit. The car runs pretty good but it needs a valve adjustment, plugs, wires, points and probably an oil change. The first & most immediate $$ item will be putting new shocks in - it REALLY needs it.

do away with the points, even a pertronix is cheap and easy conversion and should do ya fine.. one less thing to worry about on the maintenance
welcome.png
Eric_Shea
welcome.png
mills914/s
Welcome to the crazy world of 914's you will never be the same again.
welcome.png You have a great looking car!!!!
Im in Santa Cruz CA
If your ever this way drop me a line.
Seth
cuca914
QUOTE(orange914 @ Apr 23 2007, 08:00 PM) *

thumb3d.gif smilie_pokal.gif
do away with the points, even a pertronix is cheap and easy conversion and should do ya fine.. one less thing to worry about on the maintenance
welcome.png

Pardon the naive question, but what's the advantage of going to Pertronix?
cuca914
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 23 2007, 04:36 PM) *

Nice 914. Factory black?

welcome.png

Nope, used to be yellow. Part of me would like to go back to the factory color, but at the same time I've had a lot of compliments on the black and brown combination. I don't think the brown would go so good with a yellow exterior, so who knows.....
Coy
No Points or condenser. When you do a tune up it's just wires, plugs, rotar and Cap. Mine has the electronic ignition set-up and it seems pretty good.
Spoke
Nice car. Have fun with it. My first car was yellow and I loved that color. BTW, my red 71 started life as a yellow car. Love that black car.

Spoke
SGB
Yipes!
now I feel inadequate.
propricer
Welcome ... nice car - looks very much like mine except yours has better paint !!!

If you're considering a V8, you might consider my book ... following is the ebay ad but you can get it as part of 914world for less - only $60+shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...p;rd=1&rd=1

Good luck ... ed.ducey@gmail.com
orange914
QUOTE(cuca914 @ Apr 23 2007, 08:12 PM) *

Pardon the naive question, but what's the advantage of going to Pertronix?

no 3000 mile point replacement/adjusting dwell,timing stromberg.gif i know its not a real nice system, but it is inexpensive easy to in stall and mine has worked out great driving.gif
orange914
QUOTE(cuca914 @ Apr 23 2007, 02:58 PM) *

I'm very interested in the possibility of acquiring/installing the front sway bar that you have. Shoot me a PM and let me know what's involved and how much.

check this link thumb3d.gif
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=70221
BMXerror
QUOTE(cuca914 @ Apr 23 2007, 08:15 PM) *

Nice 914. Factory black?

welcome.png

Nope, used to be yellow. Part of me would like to go back to the factory color, but at the same time I've had a lot of compliments on the black and brown combination. I don't think the brown would go so good with a yellow exterior, so who knows.....

My brother has a screaming yellow Miata LS with tan interior, and it goes really well together. I wouldn't have thought it would either, but it does. I guess it depends on the yellow.
Mark D.
Gint
QUOTE(cuca914 @ Apr 23 2007, 08:15 PM) *
Nice 914. Factory black?

welcome.png
That brown interior looks awesome in a yellow 914 BTW.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.