Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Cells
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
woobn8r
I have been contemplating a fuel cell mounted low in the front compartment...

While this may yeild a lower cg, it is also in front of the front wheel midline and will affect the overall balance.

Has anybody done a before and after on corner weights?

I'm sure I can deal with a set up for this new layout...but should I be fixing somthing that aint broke.

If you do have a fuel cell, how big did you go, and how did you mount it?

Pictures would be nice if you have 'em...

Cheers,

Sean
givory
Sean,
Talk about the use for your car ie pure track, street, combo, etc. And specifically - what kind of track event. If track only racing - what do the rules say for fuel? Also what engine do you have? All have a big bearing on the answer.
Gavin
vintage race 914/6 2L
woobn8r
QUOTE(givory @ Apr 23 2007, 03:24 PM) *

Sean,
Talk about the use for your car ie pure track, street, combo, etc. And specifically - what kind of track event. If track only racing - what do the rules say for fuel? Also what engine do you have? All have a big bearing on the answer.
Gavin
vintage race 914/6 2L

The car is a JFF weekend warrior....3.2l/915 and set up as a track car...don't worry about the rules...22mm tb front /180lb springs rear, Koni adj x4, needle bearing suspension, monoballs, flares, 7&8s w/ R compound boots, etc...your basic skateboard on steroids.

I'm not really concerned with overall weight...just the placement and balance of that weight. I understand that competitive AutoX mght require a different set up than I'm planning...but I will just be drivin' fer giggles....

Thanks,

Sean
john rogers
If you corner balance the car or borrow a set of scales you will find the 914 is a tad tail heavy and with your engine and trans combo I would say even more so that a stock car. I put the fuel cell (12 gal) in front of the bulkhead as low as possible so the weight is more forward to help the balance more. My dry sump oil tanl and transmission cooling system is in the rear trunk so I wanted all the weight forward that I could get. I start each 30 minute race with the tank full and the front grip is fantastic. The only issue I had was the front oil cooler sheet metal took a bit of work to go under the tank smoothly and out the bottom.
Aaron Cox
Patrick motor sports (PMS) makes a fuel safe cell that resides in an original tank, and keeps it in the same location....

i believe they split a stock tank, add a bladder and foam it, and bolt it back together.
URY914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 23 2007, 04:13 PM) *

Patrick motor sports (PMS) makes a fuel safe cell that resides in an original tank, and keeps it in the same location....

i believe they split a stock tank, add a bladder and foam it, and bolt it back together.

Expect to pay a pretty penny for it. sad.gif
drew365
I used a 12 ga. Fuelsafe. I need to have at least 3/4 full for a 30 minute session. I find the car to be pretty tail happy until I burn off some fuel. Here are some pics of my install:
Click to view attachment

This shows the fuel pump and filters:
Click to view attachment
woobn8r
Thanks for the replies gents...

The 12 US gallon looks the way to go...

Drew, do you think that changing your set up would cure your oversteer issues on a fullto 3/4 full tank?

John, do you have any oversteer issues?

Thanks again guys...

Sean
drew365
I'm working on it. My car has had a lot of changes made to it in the last year including moving up to 23mm T bars up front. I tightened my front bar a little after every session this past weekend and still didn't induce understeer. I have plenty of room left on the bar so I hope to find a good compromise with a little more testing.
john rogers
Oversteer, no? The car runs Goodyear slicks and a GT limited slip which lets the rear bite and snap towards where ever the front wheels are pointed. I also have the rear shocks set on the soft side to give me the bite coming out of a tight corner. With street tires it might be different but is hard to say.
woobn8r
once again gents...Thank you!

Sean
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.