Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa seal myth debunked
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ppickerell
My targa seal just arrived from Carlsen Porsche as promised boldblue.gif . I can't count the times I almost pulled the trigger on an EXPENSIVE "NLA" sea WTF.gif l! I will hang that puppy tonight welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif .
Brando
I'm glad more people are wisening up. Although, when they are NLA, I'm sure a few of us will have stockpiled some very good fitting OEM units.
kconway
More info needed...are you saying that you can still purchase the targa seal from local Porsche dealerships?

I jumped on the AA deal and was waiting to hear the story about what happened with my order today. Now I can't find that thread.

I figured all that were available thru Porsche have been snatched up and again they are NLA. Is this not the case or is this the myth you speak of?

Kevin
orange914
inquiring minds want to know
Cap'n Krusty
Use gross amounts of care, even with a new factory seal. IME, they tear as easily as the so-called "aftermarket" seals. We installed one a couple of years ago and it deteriorated to the point of tearing within DAYS. We warranteed it, and the replacement was only slightly better. The Cap'n
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(ppickerell @ Apr 23 2007, 02:47 PM) *

My targa seal just arrived from Carlsen Porsche as promised boldblue.gif . I can't count the times I almost pulled the trigger on an EXPENSIVE "NLA" sea WTF.gif l! I will hang that puppy tonight welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif .

What the hell are you talking about? blink.gif
Twystd1
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Apr 23 2007, 10:47 PM) *

QUOTE(ppickerell @ Apr 23 2007, 02:47 PM) *

What the hell are you talking about? blink.gif

NLA Seals refer to the Alaskan Seal oil VS the Russian Seal oil debate over at Rennlist.

The Russian seals are smaller as they live in a warmer climate. The Alaskan ones are the bigger ones but have less oil in them.
They are not really a mamal as you know it....

The NLA part is short for Norte Libetus Arhtmesus.

Which is Greek for Seal... Not to be confused with things like wax seal or like "seal a meal" bags.

Porsche uses Russian SEAL oil for all windshield installations to keep the rubber lubricated while installing them in Germany.
Just like the Nazis used on their war machines. The seals were stolen from the Russians. (Hence the code name NLA)
Check out Aaron Cox's blog for more information specific to the Seal oil installation techniques and the hidden "COVERUP" story of NLA Seals during WWII.

Clayton
Betty
"NLA Seals refer to the Alaskan Seal oil VS the Russian Seal oil debate over at Rennlist.

The Russian seals are smaller as they live in a warmer climate. The Alaskan ones are the bigger ones but have less oil in them.
They are not really a mamal as you know it....

The NLA part is short for Norte Libetus Arhtmesus.

Which is Greek for Seal... Not to be confused with things like wax seal or like "seal a meal" bags.

Porsche uses Russian SEAL oil for all windshield installations to keep the rubber lubricated while installing them in Germany.
Just like the Nazis used on their war machines. The seals were stolen from the Russians. (Hence the code name NLA)
Check out Aaron Cox's blog for more information specific to the Seal oil installation techniques and the hidden "COVERUP" story of NLA Seals during WWII."

JEEZ - you crack me up! I love it!!! biggrin.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!! (and an apology)

I have finally gotten to the bottom of the windshield top seal controversy and have a PORSCHE factory guarantee of 100 plus top seals on the way. Everyone who has ordered one for the special price will get one, but in two or three weeks.
I have gone through h.ll after placing our confirmed order and being invoiced from Porsche for something that did not exist. What the problem was is that there was a miscount in the inventory that resulted in a non existent inventory and the resultant delay in resupplying and reinventorying them.
Behind the scenes I called my contact deep in the Porsche parts organization (my brother Peter's best friend) and he sheepishly admitted that there had been a miscount and that actually they had not sold that many of them in the last two months since a small number of them had arrived in the U.S.
Well feeling like a fool to believe the word of Porsche and really not believing it until I verified five times, getting my shipping confirmation and my bill (previously posted) I had our buyer Bruce make a bunch of calls, and I too called people we knew in the organization. I immediately rounded up five of the seals, (all new stock) had my friend Michael Mittle in Germany send me 30 more and FINALLY had my brothers friend expedite the shipment from Germany for 100 more immediately and 100 additional in two to three weeks.
I am very very sorry that this has happened. We have always been able to depend on Porsche for instantaneous delivery as we are one of their drop ship customers and are only about ten miles from the warehouse, and six from Headquarters.
Please again my sincere apologies to the club. EVERYONE who ordered one will get one at the price, and I will post some pics of the seals and the confirmations as they arrive.
If ANYONE feels like personally abusing me for this, please feel free to call me personally and vent: 800 792 4944 ext 16 business 404 308 5652 cell 770 971 4960 home.
orange914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 24 2007, 09:01 AM) *

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!! (and an apology)

I have finally gotten to the bottom of the windshield top seal controversy and have a PORSCHE factory guarantee of 100 plus top seals on the way.

.o.k. can sombody drop a link to the post for us inquiring minds poke.gif
new porsche reproduced? how much? where when?
aktion035.gif
Coy
OMG!!! I can't believe it... Dr. 914 is a baby seal killer now?!? Here I was thinking George was an Okay guy after all... and now this!

No seriously; what exactly are we talking about? Is this the rubber piece that the Targa top slides into at the front?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Coy @ Apr 24 2007, 10:05 AM) *

OMG!!! I can't believe it... Dr. 914 is a baby seal killer now?!? Here I was thinking George was an Okay guy after all... and now this!

No seriously; what exactly are we talking about? Is this the rubber piece that the Targa top slides into at the front?

yes!
ppickerell
Someone here posted that the NLA seals were now available from the dealer piratenanner.gif . I called Carlsen Porsche in Redwood City. Mike there said that there were two in stock in Ontario boldblue.gif . I gave him my credit card# thumb3d.gif . People then started posting about having placed "expedites" on the seal orders and any available would go to these select few first WTF.gif . I called Carlsen back to check on my order and he said that there was a delay so I figured I was F'ed ar15.gif . 2 days later the package arrived with a brand new OEM seal biggrin.gif . $257. I approached the install last night with some trepidation sad.gif but it went on quite easily and fits perfectly aktion035.gif .
Coy
You don't have any photos of the install do you? How hard is it?
gopack
what is the part number of that seal? maybe i should be calling the local p-car dealership?
2-OH!
914-563-035-10, 73 and back, or 914-563-039-10...But they are interchangeable...

Dennis at ZIMS has them (or had them) - 800-356-2964...

2-OH!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Shipped some seals today will ship more next week. Every club member who ordered will get the $210.00 factory seal including the shipping!
Tobra
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 24 2007, 01:46 PM) *

Shipped some seals today will ship more next week. Every club member who ordered will get the $210.00 factory seal including the shipping!

I will be sleeping with mine, body heat will soften it up for install
spunone
Woo HOO now we need a step by step install with pics Captain ?? clap56.gif
ppickerell
PN 914-563-039-10

Remove the old seal. Look for places in the metal tracks at the windshield sides for areas that the factory intaller peened down the edge of the channel to lock the seal und straighten them out with needle nose. Install was very easy. I lubed the channel in the seal and the metal channel on the windshiled pillar and started from the top of the windshield on the right side. I slid the seal in and pulled with my right hand while pushing the seal in with my left hand from the top. When fully home I peened the metal channel near the bottom to pinch the seal with a hammer and screw driver. I then pushed the horizontal run at the top of the windshield in place. Right side the same way. I had to trim one side to get the door to close.
spunone
Sounds pretty simple thumb3d.gif What did you use for the Lube?
ppickerell
Paul,
I used Wurth Rubber care from AA, but dish soap would have worked fine.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
KING OF THE WINDSHIELD TOP SEALS!

I REALLY DO NOT LOOK THIS BAD! IT WAS MY BIRTHDAY LAST NIGHT!

IPB Image
Bartlett 914
Congratulations! piratenanner.gif

spunone
YOU ARE THE KING
spunone
The one thing he forgot to tell us . That photo was from 20 years ago. av-943.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(spunone @ Apr 26 2007, 11:06 AM) *

The one thing he forgot to tell us . That photo was from 20 years ago. av-943.gif

Funny funny man! You are right! That was a picture of my dad who started the business back in 1978 and was offering these seals new for $75.00, then!!!!!
cooltimes
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 26 2007, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(spunone @ Apr 26 2007, 11:06 AM) *

Funny funny man! You are right! That was a picture of my dad who started the business back in 1978 and was offering these seals new for $75.00, then!!!!!

Happy Birthday beerchug.gif

brer
awww, kitty.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.